Best GPS ?

I thought the same for the longest but am coming around to the GPS camp. Cell phone service is and can be spotty and then you have nothing. GPS not like that.
I just recently used my phone on a 1800 mile jaunt as my Zumo decided to retire :) Now after that I will have another Zumo for the as you can see more and it is easier to adjust while at speed. Plus you can drop your zumo and have a phone for many things including back but you drop or damage the phone you cannot do much. Not kicking anyone who wants to use one its just my opinion after giving it the chance. And the old grumpy feller is right I have never lost a GPS signal except inside a long tunnel under the ocean. Something I did experience in the Smokies!!

I chafe at the smugness of folk who say they just use their phone, as if the whole world had a cell signal. Not griping just plucking strings......There are broad swathes of Virginia and West Virginia where tin cans and string are still necessary.....a dedicated gps is often your ONLY option.

I typically use both. One to verify the other. As good as my Garmin is it has taken me out of the way a few times. Having two devices agree on a route gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

I had my iPhone on my bars the whole way from Houston to Miami 90F or more the whole way and no problems with overheating. I guess if you are going fast enough heat isn't much of an issue. There was also about an hour and a half of torrential downpour the iPhone lived through.

This is really for the Aussies, this Australian garmin distributor is giving 20% off by using the code: Collection at the moment until 24 July. So for those that wanted the top of the line Garmin 595lm you can get it for $767 rather than rrp of $958. If you get the TPMS with it, savings are very good. The eBay site is run by reputable Ryda.com.au and the address is : Garmin Zumo 595LM Bike GPS Navigation with AUST GARMIN WARRANTY | eBay

This is really for the Aussies, this Australian garmin distributor is giving 20% off by using the code: Collection at the moment until 24 July. So for those that wanted the top of the line Garmin 595lm you can get it for $767 rather than rrp of $958. If you get the TPMS with it, savings are very good. The eBay site is run by reputable Ryda.com.au and the address is : Garmin Zumo 595LM Bike GPS Navigation with AUST GARMIN WARRANTY | eBay
Same seller was doing same deal when I bought my Garmin Zumo 395 LM, I saved $189.90 which was the cost of the tyre sensors, I also found that they carry all spares for them like when I wrote of the Rocket, somehow the GPS received only a minor mark on one corner whilst everything else in that area was crushed including the power cable for the GPS, surprisingly enough ( the power cable is part of the hardwiring kit and cradle, I was horse they would make me buy a whole new cradle but that was not the case) I was able to order just the power cable for $30 including postage and had it within a week and that a,so proved to me the toughness of the Garim product as it is still working perfectly on the Explorer

Same seller was doing same deal when I bought my Garmin Zumo 395 LM, I saved $189.90 which was the cost of the tyre sensors, I also found that they carry all spares for them like when I wrote of the Rocket, somehow the GPS received only a minor mark on one corner whilst everything else in that area was crushed including the power cable for the GPS, surprisingly enough ( the power cable is part of the hardwiring kit and cradle, I was horse they would make me buy a whole new cradle but that was not the case) I was able to order just the power cable for $30 including postage and had it within a week and that a,so proved to me the toughness of the Garim product as it is still working perfectly on the Explorer

That is good news and great to know that the seller is highly regarded. Dropped my money on one last night as I didn't want to miss out and it was by far the cheapest I could find it anywhere

And the old grumpy feller is right I have never lost a GPS signal except inside a long tunnel under the ocean. Something I did experience in the Smokies!!
My GPS stuff (and I have quite a selection) cannot get a decent signal in Madrid City (narrow streets and high buildings) - hates tunnels and for some reason the TomTom cannot navigate in parts of West Cheshire. Cellphones in these conditions MAY be able to position via cell towers. Here most tunnels have cell service. Still say a map and compass is best.

I have a Garmin Nuvi with Eco Route/ Mechanic, that with the antenna that plugs into your OBD connector gives you GPS plus whichever gauges you would like. It displays up to 5 gauges at a time. Mine is set to Tachometer, Charging status, Intake temp, Coolant temp and Engine load. I have it mounted in an inexpensive waterproof cover.
Does any OBD connector with bluetooth work or do you have to have the Garmin OBD connector. I cannot find the Garmin anywhere, I have a Dezl 560 with the ecoRoute. Thanks

Considering installing a GPS on my R3. Would like to keep the cost in the $200 range. Is there a best choice at that price point?

Simply install "Scenic" from Motomappers (app store- free) onto your iPhone or tablet and run that on your handlebar mount and power outlet. Its truly fantastic. Accurate, has voice prompts, easy to use, loads GPX files that you can make from google-maps. Maps are loaded on your device so uses almost no data. I have used it for full 8 hour 500 km route and used less than 50 megs of data for the day.
Dont waste your money on a GPS unit.

Back