Best Ramp

10 feet is ok you will always have your feet touching the ramp except when the engine passes the edge of the ramp that is only seconds so should not be dangerous I have a split 10 footer STEEL ramp ( two lengths) I also suggest put some feet under the middle where you connect both ramp to stop the wow in the ramp and the truck suspension from going down too much and finally and I speak from experience buy a cheap 2000 lbs winch mount it on a 2x4 across the front of the truck box secure it somehow and winch the bike up. till you do it you do not realize how safer it is versus bike power you can pull back from the box using the bike weight and use the front brake to control the descent let me know if I can help you with that project. hell I might even sell you my system if you want as I have sold the truck
I also suggest the lockdown system to hold the bike in the truck box it require NO STRAPS because the frame is held from the bottom to the platform and the bike does not pogo at all

I am interested. Safety is no accident. Pictures of the whole set up please.

big-boy-motorcycle-ramp__9.jpg big-boy-motorcycle-ramp.jpg big-boy-motorcycle-ramp__12.jpg
9 feet long. 1500 lbs rated. Plenty wide I would say @ 38 inches. If coming out looks too steep, back up to a curb and let it roll. It should be no big deal.
It will take me two days to get there and to get back plus I have several other trips coming up with a portion of the ride to be made alone or with Cathy in the cab.
Two or three rentals of the trailer pays for the ramp and I have a permanent tool.
The truck is a 2016 F150 long bed, work pick up. The idea is to be able to do this alone.
The front of the bed would have a receiver chuck for the front tire.

I wonder, how does that bend in the middle support the weight of a Rocket and rider??? :eek:

I am interested. Safety is no accident. Pictures of the whole set up please.
ok I will take pictures with the rig hooked up including the winch set up remember though my ramp is made from steel not aluminum so it is heavier

I wonder, how does that bend in the middle support the weight of a Rocket and rider??? :eek:
I had question about it as well so I had some feet sliding into posts on my ramp just to feel secure I also have feet at the top near the truck gate for uploading

I had question about it as well so I had some feet sliding into posts on my ramp just to feel secure I also have feet at the top near the truck gate for uploading

While I admire and sometimes practice the belt & suspenders approach, my feeling is if I didn't trust the ramp to safely and reliably support the advertised load and then some, I'd look for another ramp. But again, whatever gets you and the bike up and down safely is :thumbsup:

Yeah; A set of legs in the middle would protect the ramp at it's weakest point. I have seen them in walkway ramps.
I would like to see his winched design. I have seen some motorized versions but, they cost a fortune, weight a ton and are permanent installations. A winch makes the procedure a two man operation.

Yeah; A set of legs in the middle would protect the ramp at it's weakest point. I have seen them in walkway ramps.
I would like to see his winched design. I have seen some motorized versions but, they cost a fortune, weight a ton and are permanent installations. A winch makes the procedure a two man operation.
not... my winch is bolted to a piece of angle iron which slide between the cab and box two pieces of wood in each front corners recesses add resistance to the pulling forces , takes me 20 seconds to place the winch in and 20 seconds to remove I straddle the bike on the way up pulling the bike while using a remote to control the winch and use the bike weight on the way down .
I trust the ramp but it is the cables holding the truck gate that caused my concerns hence the feet under the ramp in the end the whole affair takes between 20 and 25 minutes to load or unload including the removal of the ramp and loading the ramp in the box . I should mention I also tie the top of the ramp to the truck box with a strap on each side , would hate to see the ramp fall flat on the ground while loading!!

on video the loading always look simple in real life it is a very different situation

big-boy-motorcycle-ramp__9.jpg big-boy-motorcycle-ramp.jpg big-boy-motorcycle-ramp__12.jpg
9 feet long. 1500 lbs rated. Plenty wide I would say @ 38 inches. If coming out looks too steep, back up to a curb and let it roll. It should be no big deal.
It will take me two days to get there and to get back plus I have several other trips coming up with a portion of the ride to be made alone or with Cathy in the cab.
Two or three rentals of the trailer pays for the ramp and I have a permanent tool.
The truck is a 2016 F150 long bed, work pick up. The idea is to be able to do this alone.
The front of the bed would have a receiver chuck for the front tire.

I just loaded my bike for a trip to Vegas using a ramp similar to this. The ramp I used was 12' and my end gate is 41" from the ground. I had traction issues loading, unloading was fine. The ramp I used didn't have bars across it, it was a sheet of aluminum that was dimpled. There was 4 guys standing there to help me so we more or less just gave it a push and it went in. If I had to do this all the time by myself I would winch it instead of using the bikes power.

just thought i would throw this in here.
picked up a bolt on the freeway and it went into front tire felt like i had power steering till i got around 25 mph then wobble to a stop. wrecker driver did not know much about loading bikes so i had him put the ram down and road it right up no problem until i started down. both feet down on each side using front brake. what happen was the front tire was sliding or the tire was spinning. anyway i came down the ramp at a fairly fast speed. i did not drop her and i was probably lucky.
this is what not to do.

Back