Best Ramp

My first street bike was a 75' Sportster, my truck was a 67' Chevy that had a fairly high rear end. I'd grab the front forks and lift the front tire into the truck, then grab the rear forks, with my chest against the back fender and lift the rear of the bike into the truck. Of course I was much younger and stronger back then.
Now I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 that sits fairly high. I have 3 ramps that have been extended so they are 12' long. The middle ramp has 2 legs that fold down to support the middle of the ramp. It's easy to ride it up and back down. I did learn not to back it down while the ramps are wet. That was a fast reverse down the ramp :eek:. Luckily I was able to keep her upright.

I still would like to look at it if possible. I have ramp loaded many times but never so high. The R3 has a lot of power near idle
My first street bike was a 75' Sportster, my truck was a 67' Chevy that had a fairly high rear end. I'd grab the front forks and lift the front tire into the truck, then grab the rear forks, with my chest against the back fender and lift the rear of the bike into the truck. Of course I was much younger and stronger back then.
Now I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 that sits fairly high. I have 3 ramps that have been extended so they are 12' long. The middle ramp has 2 legs that fold down to support the middle of the ramp. It's easy to ride it up and back down. I did learn not to back it down while the ramps are wet. That was a fast reverse down the ramp :eek:. Luckily I was able to keep her upright.

Yeah yeah yeah yeah :whitstling:

I still would like to look at it if possible. I have ramp loaded many times but never so high. The R3 has a lot of power near idle

Yeah yeah yeah yeah :whitstling:
I'm at work right now. Won't be home until the end of the month, but I can get pictures then if you want.
Climbing the ramp wasn't the problem (plenty of torque for that), it was the motor dragging at the transition from the ramp to the tailgate. The extra length on the ramps took care of that.

Looking to invest in a ramp to load my Rocket onto an 8 foot truck bed. Looks like a 10 footer should be not too steep. Is this safe?
This is the 9' ramp I've had for maybe 10 years, maybe more (it was only $279 on their eBay site years ago). Over the years I've ridden into my pickup 3 different Harley baggers, 2 Gold Wings, an HD Fat Boy, my Triumph Explorer and now my Rocket with NEVER an issue. They were never all in the truck together ;-). The curved upper sections keep even low bikes away from hanging up near the tailgate. I never bolted the side sections to the heavier center section because I would wrap a nylon looped strap over and through the rungs of adjacent sections and then tie them back to the truck hitch area with a nylon strap for security as the company suggests. If I ever thought there was an issue, I'd back my truck up to a steep driveway or curb for extra clearance. The 40" width keeps your feet stable except for a split second but I'm only 5'6". I've even laid the ramps flat on my concrete driveway and driven Honda Fit on top of them for extra clearance (oil change e.g.). Folds in half and is easy to store out of the way.

Black Widow Motorcycle Ramps, 4-Beam Arched - 8' and 9' Long

I saw a set up that thieves used to steal bikes. They had a marine derrick some of the big boats use for hoisting the dinghy in and out of the water. That struck me at the time as the ideal for my bike hauling. I sold the pickup before I ever did anything with it.

When I had to load my bike, I would find an industrial load place so the truck bed was even with the dock, and ride the bike up the ramp of the dock and then onto the truck bed. I'm such a wimp.

Thank you. The diff between 9 & 10 feet, other than 40$?
The 9' might cause you to look for a curb or a steep loading point before a 10', especially if your pickup has a high tailgate BUT you can fold the 9' sections (as I did often) and leave them locked inside the cab of your pickup while you travel (as I did many times).

I have to agree with @TriumPhil, I've only hauled a bike one time, but I used a 6X12 utility trailer. It also hauls my lawnmower and many other projects that makes it indispensable around the house. Ramps only have one use and you can probably pick up a utility trailer for around the same price as ramps. I know that's not the subject, but a different viewpoint.

+1 for the enclosed trailer.

Just heartbreaking the times I've towed a vehicle of one kind or another, and been caught in snow behind the salt truck, or a construction zone just after a rain -- what a mess.

Back