2.5s closed deck (impressive triumph)

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
There are some performance geeks at Triumph for sure. These new engines are impressive and it starts right at the heart! Well done Triumph. Giving Triumph performance guys a closed deck engine is a hugh step up. 500hp no problem

Attachments

• IMG_0059.png
    IMG_0059.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 54
The sleeves
What do you mean by closed deck?
It means that there are no sleves. The "jug" or cylinder housing is all 3 "sleves/jugs" out of one pice of "steel". This drops into the crank case and the head is bolted down to it though the cylinder assembly.
The same could have been done with sleves and fire rings but the machineing is very laborious so triumph copied tried and true honda and toyota tech from the 80s.
It's more risky and the labor for a tech to do work kn this after the factory is $$$ but assembly and manufacturing is a lot better.
Porsche did this in the 955 and it caused random scoring issues because 2 plants made the blocks and one of the plants had issues with a few batches.
There are quite a few engines that use this way of manufacturing but it's easy when the entire block is cast iron like any old chevy. But the fact that they dis this so we can get this much power from a stock block... impressive for use in motorcycle tank engines.

I have my doubts about this being any sort of improvement.

While you gain stability at high power due to the semi-closed deck, you lose a ton of rigidity in the block by having a joint between the cylinders and main case.

Both designs are known to take 400+ HP just fine so...it's a bit academic.

I have my doubts about this being any sort of improvement.

While you gain stability at high power due to the semi-closed deck, you lose a ton of rigidity in the block by having a joint between the cylinders and main case.

Both designs are known to take 400+ HP just fine so...it's a bit academic.
I would like to see, and touch one, and the main case. I could see where this could be more stable and hold more power, allowing you to build more power. But I haven't seen one and probably never will. As more people buy the bike and warranty's end you will see a lot of combinations.

Back