YSS Shock mod - risers

Wayne's modification is on the hydraulic bump stop. This will impact the dampening on the last 30mm or so of travel. All dampening at any other fork position is unaffected.

Sorry, but there are no easy, meaning cheap, fixes.

Having longer shocks can be a good thing. Just keep the ride height close to where it is stock. Thus instead of 3/4" sit in, you have 1-1/2" or so. This improves ride quality and with the extra wheel travel in extension the bike will not top out when on the throttle and on braking the chassis rotates (back raises farther) making your steering faster but only until the chassis settles mid-turn.

This math is very interesting (I'm no scientist) and may explain to a degree why largest production shock available is 13.5 inch.
I have a new issue now. I'm to skinny, the shocks are right on the limit of minimum weight. I also notice on the YSS shocks that the top mount plastic bearing has deformed so loosing 3-4mm length. I have sent pic to the vendor. Maybe they just sent wrong shocks and that explains the preload issues.

Hopefully vendor will offer replacement with different springs.

This math is very interesting (I'm no scientist) and may explain to a degree why largest production shock available is 13.5 inch.
I have a new issue now. I'm to skinny, the shocks are right on the limit of minimum weight. I also notice on the YSS shocks that the top mount plastic bearing has deformed so loosing 3-4mm length. I have sent pic to the vendor. Maybe they just sent wrong shocks and that explains the preload issues.

When I was ordering springs for mine the guy asked if I could fill a knapsack with some weight. Ballast I believe was his term :)

Oh dear. Vendor asking me what the mount diameter is on the bike. Not good! Saying they will send out bushes ?
I'll humour them.

Got some side lights today so a bit distracted.

Do you think possible the extensions are adding stress to bushings ?

No, I found the issue when I removed the shocks in order to add the extension
After a while the plastic/Nylon bush went back to normal. I suspect the bush is not fit for purpose given the bike weight

Are the shocks the correct ones for the bike weight? When we were going back and forth on some progressive shocks 440-4410 I believe the deal was they will fit on the rockets but they were made for bonnies and vrods, so you’re right probably about that bushing as ikon had to go to brass for me and the engineering of shock needs to be for an 850lb bike 1000 when loaded, maybe speedy will chime back in and explain this as I believe he is not from earth.

Back