YSS Shock mod - risers

chrisw

Bluebird
Ride
Rocket 3 Classic Tourer 2007
Hi
When I was deciding on rear shocks I was looking at options for variable length.
Most shocks had limited options for increasing length.

The YSS offered +- 5 from stock. However I noticed on a video that the bottom unscrewed completely
I then searched on ebay for male to female extender bolts in stainless steel. I found one source and ordered some 30mm extenders at M16 x 1.0mm (very fine thread). the extenders arrived and I fitted to my YSS shocks.

When the weather picks up I'll do some low speed stress testing over some pot holes then inspect the threads. first glance they are very sturdy and would seem to be more metal on metal than the orginal if extended to max length

Also weighed the YSS shocks. around 1KG lighter than stock for the pair

If ok this should give +10 to go at (35mm over stock)

Has anyone else done similar? I saw some great posts on tyre sizes which I'm also looking at.

Thanks for looking

Extender.jpg
shocks with extender.jpg
Standard fit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Copy that, with a 13.5 in shock I barely touch the ground is why I ask but they did definitely help the steering on my touring by going to this shock which ikon made for me at a 35in inseam, I like the change they have made but sometimes I’m tippy toeing and I’m 6’3”, with over a 1000# sometimes that makes it sketchy when I’m moving bike with feet in a parking lot or something like that, getting set at starting line stuff like that

yeah, I can appreciate the tippy toeing, especially in winter when u accidentally come to a stop on a slippery surface. I'll try them out see how I go. Compromise between safety and ride quality. With a little bit of bias :)

Getting that rear up will be good especially if you do lay her down in the twisties because dragging and pivoting these bikes up is not cool, keep us posted, what yss shocks are they you got they have like 3 models if I’m not mistaken

Getting that rear up will be good especially if you do lay her down in the twisties because dragging and pivoting these bikes up is not cool, keep us posted, what yss shocks are they you got they have like 3 models if I’m not mistaken

I went for the RZ362-320TRL-50-X. Was not to bothered about the remote reservoir or compression damping. just wanted to be able to set bounce back and length

WP_20200128_17_08_45_Pro[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went for the RZ362-320TRL-50-X. Was not to bothered about the remote reservoir or compression damping. just wanted to be able to set bounce back and length
Ok I just figured out what you are running but according to YSS those shocks are adjustable +10 MM. I have similar except i went with the 366 TRL which has 16mm shafts verses the 12 mm. Anyway i also have a 350mm set of Hagons which were made longer by mistake. So I they said try them and if the work they would discount them . If I didn't want them they'd make me another set. Anyway they worked because I had 3-1 exhaust. Any crossover even the cat delete would rub the swingarm. Anyway since you're up there in length what front wheel size are you running?

Ok I just figured out what you are running but according to YSS those shocks are adjustable +10 MM. I have similar except i went with the 366 TRL which has 16mm shafts verses the 12 mm. Anyway i also have a 350mm set of Hagons which were made longer by mistake. So I they said try them and if the work they would discount them . If I didn't want them they'd make me another set. Anyway they worked because I had 3-1 exhaust. Any crossover even the cat delete would rub the swingarm. Anyway since you're up there in length what front wheel size are you running?

The YSS give 10mm but only +- 5mm from stock (They arrive fully in - Shorter than stock. )
With the extenders I am 25mm longer than stock.
I have the triumph decat, so hoping when I fit them, there would be no impact anywhere. I have scissor jack so should be able to fully extend.
Worse case I chop the extender or go 3-1

Good service by Hagon !

Front is stock, but 140 Looks like a good option.

What shock length are u at now ?

The YSS give 10mm but only +- 5mm from stock (They arrive fully in - Shorter than stock. )
With the extenders I am 25mm longer than stock.
I have the triumph decat, so hoping when I fit them, there would be no impact anywhere. I have scissor jack so should be able to fully extend.
Worse case I chop the extender or go 3-1

Good service by Hagon !

Front is stock, but 140 Looks like a good option.

What shock length are u at now ?
Well the shock as the site say plus 10 over so all the way in should be stock and 10 mm adjustment to make them longer
Unless I'm not reading it right. Anyway I'm running a 18 inch 240 battle criuse h50 rear with 5 mm rise so its like having the 240/55/16 my front suspension is Ducati internals with high speed dampening and compression rebound adjustment and length.
20200128_212432.jpg

I carry a wrench with me but running the 140 battle cruise h50 front my fork length is typically 1/2" or so shorter then stock length for highway cruising and with a quick setting change on the the steering damper she is smooth as sill above 160.
20190815_173304.jpg

So in the twisties if I'm going to ride briskly I'm running usually about settong 4 on the damper and take about 2.5 to 3 turns out of the compression lowering the front end a wee bit more. If I start hearing the feelers screen to much I'll put a little more height in the in her ehen I get back at the trailer . Until then I'll just hang off a little more so she can stand up a little. There's times I kind of climb all around on her in the twisties :)

22,000 dollars for a new rocket and ya don't get a suspension like mine :D

Last edited:
Back