Ramair crankcase breather mod

Run the vapor to a baffled Catch can then thru a vacuum brake booster power valve and out the exhaust.. not sure if its bonneville approved since you will be running in the modified gas group you'll have to check the rules.

Pretty much exactly what I've done. Nothing in the rules covers it. If they do have an issue with it, it'll be the environmental hazard aspect. I can always put the can back on if I am told to, would rather not though, so much cleaner without it.

Yes, @1olbull , for a street bike on a mostly stock motor I don't think it'd be any sort of issue though.

PS: we need to get together at some point this week, I have news for you :p

Pretty much exactly what I've done. Nothing in the rules covers it. If they do have an issue with it, it'll be the environmental hazard aspect. I can always put the can back on if I am told to, would rather not though, so much cleaner without it.

Yes, @1olbull , for a street bike on a mostly stock motor I don't think it'd be any sort of issue though.

PS: we need to get together at some point this week, I have news for you :p

News is good, my son!
...and I have Mufasa!
Tomorrow?

5621B1BD-8FEF-4D2D-AB9F-4871EF59323B.jpeg
1EB7C852-BC8B-4943-A587-34EA33BB6AFA.jpeg
158D94FD-E579-4ADA-A06E-29D470BE4FA7.jpeg
9F2F803E-D1DF-4E06-9337-37101F7FDFC9.jpeg
81E05DDE-2688-4B14-B013-A8F867642555.jpeg
158D94FD-E579-4ADA-A06E-29D470BE4FA7.jpeg
I fitted the ramair filter at 28000km with the crankcase foam filter. I don’t baby the bike and often use full throttle in top gear when on group runs. After getting home from a recent run I could could see a faint vapour at the back of the motor. The motor has done 40,000km and Is due for its 10,000m (mobil 1) oil change. I’m a little disappointed it’s showimg signs of blowby this early but as one famous Aussie once said “such is life”.
I used a 3/4” hole saw to drill a hole in the opposite position to the air sensor on the Ramair and machined up a two piece nylon fitting that I glued together with loctite “all plastic” polypropylene glue to form an elbow.
I based the elbow fitting dimensions on the ramair air sensor and allowed for a 1/2” inside diameter hose.
Then connected the crankcase breather to the ramair filter by routing up the rear of the motor and forward under the tank.
Photos attached.

Then told the missus the motor was buggered and we need to start saving for an engine rebuild with upgraded Ho to make it stronger ;);):cool:

Great write up!
LOL did the buggered motor act work?

Im pretty sure there will always be some blow-by regardless of engine age. I'm planning to put a vacuum catch can in the old filter box. Every Engine should have one. Most do not sadly. If you go that route it will need a drain, and a maintenance routine.

On my old Triumph twins and my early model Evo Electra Glide, I ran a hose on the inside of the fender, exiting at the back. On most new bikes that breather goes right back into the intake. EPA chit.

Please forgive my ignorance, I do not understand what it is you have done. Can you give more of an explanation? Thanks.

Basically he connected his crank case breather to his exhaust and put in a vacuum check valve, in line, to keep exhaust gases from flowing into the breather. When exhaust pressure decreases the oil and vapor flow into the exhaust. I also guessing but youdy rout it to the silencer because of the built in moisture drains. Otherwise exhaust back pressure would be bad.

Should have read the whole thread before chiming in .

Basically he connected his crank case breather to his exhaust and put in a vacuum check valve, in line, to keep exhaust gases from flowing into the breather. When exhaust pressure decreases the oil and vapor flow into the exhaust. I also guessing but youdy rout it to the silencer because of the built in moisture drains. Otherwise exhaust back pressure would be bad.

I should have*

If one were to do this, it would involve drilling a hole in the muffler, attaching a metal fitting of some sort, running a line to the crankcase breather and putting a check valve in between? What sort of fitting would go into the muffler (silencer) and what sort of check valve would be used? What sort of hose would be use to attach to the muffler fitting since that would be getting very hot? Thanks for helping me to understand this.

Back