Rkarlstad

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III
Previously I posted about a no start condition on my new 2017 Roadster (delivered in August 2017) and was offered advice as to the need for a good battery etc., all good advice. I did put in a new battery assuming the original was weak and attempted to start.

Now, I have been on bikes for over 40 years and never experienced this...

The wiring harness smoked. I mean fearful for a fire smoking. Rolled the beast out of the garage and let it cool off. Called the dealer (Performance in NH) and had them pick it up for repair under warranty.

First repair - they said it was the k/s safety switch that melted - way to much smoke for that I told them, plus as I told them it came out from under the tank, not the side stand. Part was ordered, sent to the wrong location adding another week delay. Part installed, see second repair.

Second repair - they now agree the harness was toast - loose or bad ground at the starter - so they order a new one. A week later it comes into the correct location - wrong harness. They ordered the one for the cruiser, not the roadster. Another 1-2 weeks lost.

So now the bikes out 3 weeks, still not done, am I to worry that this is a lemon or is it just bad luck?

My 2003 BMW R1200 CLC never had issues like this, I kept it as a backup bike, never expected it to still be my primary ride at this point.

Previously I posted about a no start condition on my new 2017 Roadster (delivered in August 2017) and was offered advice as to the need for a good battery etc., all good advice. I did put in a new battery assuming the original was weak and attempted to start.

Now, I have been on bikes for over 40 years and never experienced this...

The wiring harness smoked. I mean fearful for a fire smoking. Rolled the beast out of the garage and let it cool off. Called the dealer (Performance in NH) and had them pick it up for repair under warranty.

First repair - they said it was the k/s safety switch that melted - way to much smoke for that I told them, plus as I told them it came out from under the tank, not the side stand. Part was ordered, sent to the wrong location adding another week delay. Part installed, see second repair.

Second repair - they now agree the harness was toast - loose or bad ground at the starter - so they order a new one. A week later it comes into the correct location - wrong harness. They ordered the one for the cruiser, not the roadster. Another 1-2 weeks lost.

So now the bikes out 3 weeks, still not done, am I to worry that this is a lemon or is it just bad luck?

My 2003 BMW R1200 CLC never had issues like this, I kept it as a backup bike, never expected it to still be my primary ride at this point.

I know of 2 possibly 3 dealers here in Southern California that have dropped the sale of Triumph because getting parts for them was such a pain in the ass they could never get stock or everything was on back order.

Back