Electrical Gremlin Strikes Again

Instrument cluster, I have one I bought from pen wells if you need one to try or if you swap your dads and it’s that let me know if you want, 250.00 used is what I paid and the prices I see but I have a spare if needed.

S.O.D. On the road again!

AE8E66C8-34D7-4CA7-8A0C-CF06A79DB2C8.jpeg
What fixed it?

Thanks guys. It was moisture in the instrument cluster. Gage guessed it, I had a spare that the speedo didn’t work on so he swapped it out, it fired right up and we went and got my bike and went riding, he probly did about 150 miles. The speedo functioned on his bike, so he is a happy camper this evening. A special thank you to @TURBO200R4 and everybody else that worked on it with him, you all were hanging in there like champs, he is a quick study and learned a lot about DC systems. It restores my faith to see experienced men willing to mentor a young man like you guys have..that sort of stuff is what life is all about.
So anybody care to guess why the speedo started working again when connected to a different bike?

Thanks guys. It was moisture in the instrument cluster. Gage guessed it, I had a spare that the speedo didn’t work on so he swapped it out, it fired right up and we went and got my bike and went riding, he probly did about 150 miles. The speedo functioned on his bike, so he is a happy camper this evening. A special thank you to @TURBO200R4 and everybody else that worked on it with him, you all were hanging in there like champs, he is a quick study and learned a lot about DC systems. It restores my faith to see experienced men willing to mentor a young man like you guys have..that sort of stuff is what life is all about.
So anybody care to guess why the speedo started working again when connected to a different bike?
Evil spirits.

Yes, thank you to everyone.

@EwoutR3 @TURBO200R4 @Kevin frazier @idk @Fingers @Tripps and all the others who had the grace to help, I appreciate you guys sticking it out like you did.

In the end, the best I can figure it is that the bad wiring on the horn or wiggling the spotty ignition wires was causing just enough voltage "flicker" to make the dash function intermittently, when the dash itself had long since been a dead man walking. I had previously put dryer sheets in the housing in an attempt to draw moisture out from behind the glass, but I failed to remove them. I see that they collected enough moisture on the circuit board to thoroughly corrode it, and I can really only blame my own negligence on at least two fronts for the problems. The Skunk will have to be a tough bike to survive me, as I'm sure that this is far from the the last time I'll abuse it out of ignorance. At least I can say that I'm learning o_O

On a different note, the new odometer has a lot fewer miles on it than the bike actually has. Is there anyone who knows of an "easy" way to change the miles showing on the odometer? I'd like to match what was originally on the bike if I can.

Back