Electrical Gremlin Strikes Again

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
Well, I've been staying up late working on the bike for two days trying to chase out this electrical gremlin.

The OLED screen on the cluster is blank, but backlit, the gauges don't sweep or anything, the killswitch does nothing. Headlights come on, battery is charged, fuses are good. Bike will not start.

It's been a long standing issue, and it used to be that it could be fixed by wiggling the wire harness going to the ignition switch or, in the rare occasion, honking the horn. Last night I removed the ignition switch from the equation and replaced it with a temporary toggle switch, which did not solve the problem.
I don't know where to go from here.

Any help is much appreciated.

Might be a broken wire in the wire harness. Did you open the wire harness to check the wires? Wiggling the seperated wires could point out the broken wire.

I have worked it back to the main harness, I'm trying to avoid cutting open the main harness if I can.

Since the kill switch does nothing, could it be the switch itself or the wiring of it?
I'm not sure, I have yet to try to wiring around the killswitch. I'm inclined to say that it isn't to do with the killswitch, because the switch doesn't have anything to do with text appearing on the OLED screen on the cluster. I have noticed that if the OLED stays blank long enough, when it comes back on the clock and trip odometers are reset. I wonder about the ECU

Try unplugging dash and plugging it again also do this with the ignition switch connector.See my thread “no start”

Last edited:
Now I've removed and cleaned the gear position sensor, put it back on, still nothing. Not sure all of the relays are functioning, so I guess I'll try bypassing them next

Back