Triumph Comfort Shocks

TOMCAT

Rage against the machine
Ride
2009 RIII Standard - 2008 Speed Triple -1995 900 T'Bird
Can any Owners that run or have run the Triumph Comfort Shocks please give a product review .. Appreciate opinions before I purchase ..Thanks fellas.

I have been running Triumph's Comfort Shocks for about the past 20K miles. The reason I tried them is because I found a pair on Ebay for $80.00. I wasn't even sure they were 'really' Comfort Shocks but no one else had bit on them, so I through a low bid and won.

First off, I weigh about 195-200lbs.. I don't think I ride super aggressive, but I can at times. Why else would I own a Rocket?.. :D

I have ran the stock shocks... WAY to stiff for me, and I tolerated them for about 45K+ miles! I'm sure I will have spine problems for that.. lol.

Then I tried the Progressive 412s. Now, in all fairness, I didn't order the HD springs. I didn't think I weighed enough, I rarely carry a passenger, and I travel pretty light. The 412s, with standard springs, were WAY too soft and the damping was practically non existent. I did not keep these more than about 5K miles or so.

While I had the 412s on, I ran across the Triumph Comfort Shocks on Ebay. Like I said, I had my doubts, even if they really were "Comfort Shocks". Well.. I LOVE these shocks. I run them on the lowest pre-load setting and they are great. I could probably stand to bump them up a notch for really aggressive cornering, as they can be a bit soft on #1, but I haven't bothered to do so. They are pre-load adjustable only, no damping adjustment, but the damping is perfect for me. I ride a 70 mile round trip to work most every day with a combination of highway/interestate riding.

I like them so much, that I REALLY would like to get some 1" lower shocks for looks, but I like the ride from these shocks so much that I don't want to give that up to go lower... :)

My big question is WHY THE HELL DID TRIUMPH NOT PUT THESE ON OUR ROCKETS AS FACTORY INSTEAD OF MAKING US HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR WHAT SHOULD HAVE CAME ON THE ROCKET IN THE FIRST PLACE???!!! Sorry for the caps... but REALLY?! I sure hope the Roadster and Touring come factory with these Comfort Shocks...

You can see the difference in the spring size. The Comfort shock is on my bike. The stock shock is in my hand. The Comfort shock has a slightly thinner spring with more coils..

Hagons 1" lowered on the left and standard R3R on the right

20130531_142524.jpg

Looks like the Roadster shocks might be someware in between comfort and classic?:confused:

Any reason why you want Triumph shocks?. There seem to be a lot of other (tried, tested) alternatives which folk swear by. Dahn Hunder - Might be worth a chat with Gazi.

Another option could be getting the current shocks re-sprung.

Any reason why you want Triumph shocks?. There seem to be a lot of other (tried, tested) alternatives which folk swear by. Dahn Hunder - Might be worth a chat with Gazi.

Another option could be getting the current shocks re-sprung.

Running Gazi's now .. had them re-sprung and re-valved , then dialled in by a very experienced mechanic. They are ok two-up with luggage but solo .. still getting hammered on potholes. Tried Hagons and found they weren't any better that what I have now. I'm not a heavyweight , 95 kilos. Just know the posts I've read have said good things about the Comfort shocks. We have pretty rough roads in Australia once you get off the main highways. Going to try a set of Roadster shocks (black springs) and see what they are like.

Running Gazi's now .. had them re-sprung and re-valved , then dialled in by a very experienced mechanic. They are ok two-up with luggage but solo .. still getting hammered on potholes. Tried Hagons and found they weren't any better that what I have now. I'm not a heavyweight , 95 kilos. Just know the posts I've read have said good things about the Comfort shocks. We have pretty rough roads in Australia once you get off the main highways. Going to try a set of Roadster shocks (black springs) and see what they are like.
I will be surprised if the roadster shocks are better than your Gazzi's when I was running the Fornales, I loved them but occasionally I still got a thump up the rump and that is from a shock that supposedly can not bottom out. The Hagon Nitros are the same giving me a firm comfortable ride but I still get the occasional thump up the rump, which leads me to think it is more a geometry design problem which I have heard a lot of cruisers suffer from by not having enough actual travel to control the weight so they stiffen up the ride to TRY and AVOID Bottoming :rolleyes:

Back