Well, thanks to the excellent instructions provided here, that was a REAL easy and CHEAP mod - just the kind I like! :D

I am still not 100% about the performance gain, but it does seem a bit more responsive to the throttle... certainly no worse than before - so I like it! :cool:

There is no certainty that you got the resistance right to find the gear you want ECM thinking you are in without some experimentation. Sounds like you probably found the right one and as long as you are happy thats all that matters. But, if you did get the right ohm's, 1st gear should feel like a rocket ship.

You have the same year and model I have, the most cost effective combinations I can recomend are (and I didn't get there the cost effective way) ...

PCIII
Low restriction exhaust (I currently have the TOR, didn't like the D&D sound)
remove secondaries (cheapest mod you can do)
GiPro
Triple K&N filters (an under tank is quieter)

If I had it to do over, I would get these parts together and then install/remove everything at once. Then take it to a Power Commander certified tuner and have a custom dyno tune done. (about $250)

The Resistor mod or GiPro is about the only engine mods you want to do without retuning the bike. If money is an issue and prefer to spend on stuff rather than dyno, you can get with someone who has a similar set up and get a copy of their tune. If you go tuneboy, it will have to be a computer file and if you go PCIII, it can be a file or print out. With a print out you just fill in the boxes with the new numbers. I'm more familiar with the PCIII, so I don't have details on fiddling with tuneboy. If you have a good background and are familiar with laptop tuning, go right for Tuneboy, nearly everything is changeable with it (that can be bad if you don't know what you are doing).

Last edited:
Appreciate the additional info. Hellfire! :cool:

I put a 680 Ohm on there to start - I also have some 1.5k's though, so I can parallel two of those to get 750 Ohm if need be.

It's just that if you did trick the ECU into thinking it was in higher gear, without doing a little experimentation you never know if you tricked it into ... say, 3rd. You want to make sure it thinks it's in 5th to be safe, 4th will work ... but if it's 1st thru 3rd, it doesnt help any. In fact it hurts your 4th and 5th power. I only bring it up because my 1st attempt didn't amount to much because I ended up in the wrong gear on the 1st try. The resistor mod is a good performance modification, but only if you get it right. There are so many ways to not hit the number, and few ways to check.
The variables involved with this trick are so vast, it's one of the reasons (besides having the display) I took it out and put on a GiPro.

Last edited:
I think it worked

Hellfire, I put in a 1k resistor and when the triumph dealer hooked it up to his computer it said every gear was 5th gear..Thanks for the cheap horsepower..
GI-pro, sounds great but so does this mod..Why doesnt triumph put an overdrive in the Rocket and says it is a green gear to save energy??

I highly recommend the GIPro over any resistor mods. They aren't expensive. It does the spark advance, opens the secondaries PLUS lets you know what gear you are in. I was always reaching for 6th gear before I got the GIPRo.:p

thanks, i tried the mod and didnt seem to notice any difference, plus i have already removed the secondaries. The dealership reflashed my computer with a different tune than stock, trying to get rid of the "pop" through the intake. Guess ill save for the triple air filters a GiPro and tuneboy to get some more grunt out of it

Old Post Indeed. I need some info from the Forum on overriding the speed limiter on a 2016 Thruxton R. Took it to 2017 Bonneville Speed Week last week and could only get 136 MPH. Found out while there that Triumph lists the top speed at 136 mph. It appears to be speed limited as we had it geared for 157 mph. Talked to Fred Rocket Scientist and he said the resistor mod should override the speed limiter.

What can you guys tell me.
Edit: The ECU on the new 1200 cc Thruxtons are locked. Triumph won't tell us how to unlock it.

Last edited:
Back