So the resister mod will change the timing to match either 4th or 5th gear depending on the ohm value used? I was going to just remove the secondaries when I install the triple filters and the PCIII now sitting in a box, do you think maybe I should leave them on with the resistor mod? My thoughts are that since the triumph aftermarket exhaust tune is already in the bike, the secondaries are staying slightly closed in all gears. Perhaps until I break down and buy a laptop and a tuneboy I'll just do both the resistor mod as well as remove the secondaries. ****, don't I make things as complicated as hell just to save a few bucks?;)

I'm having the secondaries removed tonight. I'll be installing the .7K resistor when I get my baby home. Screw the switch. To me, the end results (switching back to detune) doesn't justify the means.

Did the throttle plate removal, triple filters, PCIII and resistor mod today, runs unbelievable! Scary fast now. Front tire actually leaves the ground in 1st 4 gears just by rolling hard on the throttle. Had to go with 1k resistor and have not installed the switch yet so I'm wondering if the 1k worked. Will find out as soon as I put in the switch.:)

Last edited:
Hellfire: So did the 1k work, or?

I am about to do the mod myself and trying to decide what resistor value to use....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that adding a GI Pro ATRE unit on a non-TB or PC III R3 will accomplish about the same thing as this resistor mod, albeit for about $150 more! But then again, you will gain a spiffy LED gear indicator readout.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that adding a GI Pro ATRE unit on a non-TB or PC III R3 will accomplish about the same thing as this resistor mod, albeit for about $150 more! But then again, you will gain a spiffy LED gear indicator readout.
X, this mod was the poor boy attempt at what the GiPro does, kind of. I (we) were doing this before I knew about the GiPro and I removed it while installing the Pro indicator. If you are going with the GP, you can just ignore this thread.

Thanks, HF. In any event I would have gone the GI Pro route 'coz I'm about a 3.5 out of 10 on the wrenching proficiency scale! lol

Well, thanks to the excellent instructions provided here, that was a REAL easy and CHEAP mod - just the kind I like! :D

I am still not 100% about the performance gain, but it does seem a bit more responsive to the throttle... certainly no worse than before - so I like it! :cool:

Back