Oh No - Transmission........ BOOM Maybe.

Well I’ll have to keep this in mind I suppose as yet another upgrade I’ll get around to doing (the MTC basket).

Glad you caught it quickly before more parts went flying to parts unknown!

Well the new MTC clutch basket has arrived.
Pictured next to he old one. Nice bit of kit - it’s a pity to hide it inside the engine.
F4150945-CB76-42D4-8298-35C3617C764F.jpeg
C8F14EF7-9339-4404-9976-BB114A49798B.jpeg

Interesting design...how does oil feed to back half of the fibres/plates?
Don't forget oil is supplied from the internal thru the input shaft. I am not convinced the outer spray nozzle does heaps of oiling on the fibers as it does on the big gears both crank and basket and drive chain. Anyway I never noticed any lack of oil problems.

Good dope, Warpo!
I take it these fails are due in large part to the beefed up HP?
I think so, beefed up hp with no where to go. Triumph seriously needs to regear the entire transmission, ratios are too tight. Considering the torque these monster engines make the ratios are off, just too low.

I think so, beefed up hp with no where to go. Triumph seriously needs to regear the entire transmission, ratios are too tight. Considering the torque these monster engines make the ratios are off, just too low.

Would be a shame to gear high enough to loose wheelie ability.

Would be a shame to gear high enough to loose wheelie ability.
Leave first, second, and third for that.

Back in 1983, Honda made a CB1000 custom that had TWO SEPERATE TRANSMISSIONS. Yep, a low end 5 speed and a high end cruising 5 speed. You could use a lever selector to engage either one. I rode that bike until my GS1150 back,in 85. I have never seen anything else out there like it, worked well.

Dirt bikes in the 70's had that type transfer gear. Maybe a Yamaha or Kawasaki. High and low range, with a 4? speed trans

Back