K&N filters

canecorso

The custom seat man
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket 3 Classic
I see that some people take off the chrome cover to put on bigger taller K&N filters, has any one put on one big K&N filter on? That cover can still go on? Or I can just make cover bigger, hopefully my writer project.And if so what size? And how did you mount it?

K&N does not make one big filter to fit under the claw, it does make smaller ones -one for each throttle body and you can still use the bearclaw or you can go with taller K&Ns and modify the claw
(someone will be along with the #s)
Ramair also makes a one piece filter that fits under the claw and seems a pretty popular choice.

is the Ramair filter better then the three small K&N filters?
I have the three small K&N filters.
There is a guy that is going to customize a new tank for me over the winter just trying to think of some ideas to get more air flow,
He’s going to make my tank semetrical so chrome is on both sides, might change the sides depending on filter.

The other side might have a lock on and open up as a glove box or might be part of the gas tank to make it hold more gas or he said he can put another tootle body on the other side and connect them both and have thre K&N filters on both sides with two same chrome covers on both sides

Thanks, yeah my I pad was ****ed up and I’ve been busy, and now planing to go to Germany and London England and Paris :),and need to design my bike so when this guy is ready for me he can copy it all in metal and Alumnum.

I have the three small K&N filters.
There is a guy that is going to customize a new tank for me over the winter just trying to think of some ideas to get more air flow,
He’s going to make my tank semetrical so chrome is on both sides, might change the sides depending on filter.
Yes. As said it is a flatter single filter with 3 short velocity stacks built inside that connect to the stock 62mm throttle bodies.

But next size up of K&N x3 pods about is equal and then you can get even bigger K&N but these larger tall K&N pods require either removal of the bearclaw or cutting/modifying to allow them to fit.

All covered here K&N Question

Define BETTER.

The RamAir was designed by a forum member to fit under the claw with the advantage of bring the Temp Sensor into the airflow feeding the engine. This is BETTER.

Colin no longer comes on here - but is still a top grade engineer. We went to ITG and PIPER with the idea but they said "it could not be made". The predecessor made by ITG which uses the Triumph "bellmouths" will not fit under - period. I know because I have it. Even the RamAir touches the inside of the claw a tiny bit.

ime the RamAir flows exceptionally well IF and it's an important IF) you can get airflow onto the upper surface.

K&N or RamAir suffer the same issue under a stock claw. They draw air from over the top of the engine but (imo worse) draw air up from teh area heated by teh oil tank and left side radiator venting.

The easiest and probably best breathing solution is run open - but that looks ugly imo. Next best is the OZ-claw from @ozrider which has a big forward facing cold air inlet that blasts down over the filters. It works better still if you make a simple air dam between teh filter and space above the engine. Note it comes/came with a thick sound deadening foam liner - this obturaes a large section of the RamAir filter surface - it works better with no foam liner - markedly. I am working on a new "claw" with lateral scoops or venting. But it's a winter project.

Back