Noise cancelling earbuds

RazMan

Rocket Addict
Ride
2022 R3 GT, 2011 America
As we all know, the constant combination of wind noise and loud pipes can be quite tiring on long journeys and can actually damage your hearing long term. In my case my hearing loss is mostly due to being in very loud rock bands in the 70's but my biking habit is probably a factor too.
In recent years I have worn noise cancelling headphones when using power tools in my workshop. These headphones are quite magical and reduce the screaming sound of my angle grinder to a whisper and I can add music to make the experience more tolerable.
It occurred to me that noise cancelling ear buds might make my rather loud Dave Platt exhaust less damaging to my ears - has anyone got any experience (good or bad). I already have a Sena bluetooth setup in my helmet so it would make sense to utilise this if possible.

Any thoughts guys?

I use my earbuds the same as you. Good for light noise jobs in garage and garden. I tried them on my bike but they weren't good as they tend to be bulky and pushed on my ears quickly becoming uncomfortable. Different brands might be better though so this is just my personal experience. I often use wired non cancelling earbuds and they are much smaller and more comfortable but can also become annoying on a long day.

.....put the stock exhaust back on....:whitstling::sneaky:;):)

I wear a Davida Jet open face lid and it's the best helmet I have ever used for reducing noise.
So much so, I don't need to use ear plugs.
But I suppose, if you felt the need to make things even quieter you could use in combo. I can't imagine a quieter set up.

.....put the stock exhaust back on....:whitstling::sneaky:;):)
Now where's the fun in that! ;)
I think a lot of my noise is due to my Scorpion modular helmet and I am waiting for delivery of a new full face Icon helmet. I have to agree that my old Jet lid was much quieter but I was getting too many bugs in my teeth! :laugh:
I would ideally like to 'inject' some anti-noise into my Sena bluetooth helmet system - that way I can lower the sound of wind, traffic, pipes etc but still have my phone, music, intercom, satnav etc. I am surprised that (to my knowledge) a helmet manufacturer hasn't marketed such a system yet. 🤔

Last edited:
Would you believe it - I stand corrected :rolleyes:

Only problem is that, according to their help desk, it is not available in Europe :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've tried everything, including the ones your mix together that custom mold to your ears. The disposable soft foam work best, by far. I use the 32 dB and can not hear every time someone comes up to talk about the bike at the gas pump- I have to take my helmet off and one plug out.

I can hear music or the phone system through my Sena, but just enough. I can also hear traffic noise, but wind (the killer) and exhaust (stock) is reduced enough to do all day rides. Next time I may go down a notch on the dB rating.

Install tip- roll them between your fingers and lick them- yeah. Don't try to just cram them in (use your own analogy). That way they slide in all the way and expand for a perfect seal. Change often.

I have the Schuberth C3 PRO helmet, which is rated as one of the most quiet, but I would consider that Sena helmet next time- had not heard of that.

Last edited:
I have tried the plugs you are referring to but I found they just blocked out everything and I felt quite isolated from the riding experience.
Can't have the best of both worlds I suppose. 🤔
The non-existent Sena INC has a system which you can choose to have ambient noise or tune it out according to your situation (stopping to fill up, talk to the cop who just pulled you over ;) etc)

I always use a full face helmet with hearos ear plugs in my ears. It allows me to hear my music from the Cardo speakers in the helmet in a more muffled way and reduces quite a lot of the wind noise and engine noise

Back