I have a 05. It just started kicking out 4th gear.

no Update kit installed I have had the bike new from 05. I replaced the detent spring last winter. Don't belive that is it. Is replacing the gears not cost effective? I really think its the arm kicking out. I dont want to sell. I want to fix.
Ok so you want to save her. Well thats great especially that your mechanically inclined. I'm not sure if you had mentioned changing the detent spring or not in the begining. Anyway it can be done buy you with a better feel if once you split her open and of course you might as well update the trans. 2nd gear mostly . Mine mext time its out or actually I bought a trans to send to Robinson industries and have them install their billet 4th gear and undercut them plus they will go thru and correct/tighten up the shim tolerances then you cand drop the shafts back in. But first since I now know you have changed the detent spring I'm wondering if you got the new dpring verses the original one?

I say this because lets say the old orignal spring had a extra wrap making it a little long to match the larger solid disc detent wheel and they gave you a shorter one it might be overtension is your problem and in the ride time you have its getting weaker. I would check that first because well you know the price difference between the spring and a rebuild is a lot. If the spring is over sprungznd weaker the poping out of gear will start rounding the gear dogs. Just my 4.235 cents today :D

Ok so you want to save her. Well thats great especially that your mechanically inclined. I'm not sure if you had mentioned changing the detent spring or not in the begining. Anyway it can be done buy you with a better feel if once you split her open and of course you might as well update the trans. 2nd gear mostly . Mine mext time its out or actually I bought a trans to send to Robinson industries and have them install their billet 4th gear and undercut them plus they will go thru and correct/tighten up the shim tolerances then you cand drop the shafts back in. But first since I now know you have changed the detent spring I'm wondering if you got the new dpring verses the original one?

I say this because lets say the old orignal spring had a extra wrap making it a little long to match the larger solid disc detent wheel and they gave you a shorter one it might be overtension is your problem and in the ride time you have its getting weaker. I would check that first because well you know the price difference between the spring and a rebuild is a lot. If the spring is over sprungznd weaker the poping out of gear will start rounding the gear dogs. Just my 4.235 cents today :D
Thank you very much. That makes since about the spring because I did not replace the wheel. hmmm?? I am working Moto Gp is in April and I am performing a motorcycle wedding this weekend. And since the advice is not to ride it until I crack it open. I have decided to buy a 09 I found. Then I will take my beast apart. Any feedback on the 09 Roadsters?

Thank you very much. That makes since about the spring because I did not replace the wheel. hmmm?? I am working Moto Gp is in April and I am performing a motorcycle wedding this weekend. And since the advice is not to ride it until I crack it open. I have decided to buy a 09 I found. Then I will take my beast apart. Any feedback on the 09 Roadsters?
09 is not a roadster they started in 2010. So if its titled a 09 its either a standard Rocket III or a Classic. Good bikes old style ecu fully updated on the factory line. Me likey :D
Especially if its a Classic set up.

I recently bought an '08 Touring that seemed fine during my short test ride but soon after the purchase it started popping into a false neutral when decelerating in 4th gear. Then it began to find a false neutral in other gears. In mine, the detent spring had broken and because of that it wouldn't stay in gear. A new spring was all it needed to shift well and stay in gear. It was a fairly involved repair considering how small and insignificant the part is but it plays a major part in how the bike shifts.

Back