I have a 05. It just started kicking out 4th gear.

Ok before I go any further @Bob spruce , do you know if your bike has had the update kit ? just curious before I interject more opinion because now with other opinions somebody is wrong. And I am sure everyone wants it to be the detent spring. (the cheap fix) if it has not had the update kit. I lean away from the detent spring.

Jumping out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration was a sure sign that the update kit was needed. The symptoms of the detent spring vary, but can include being stuck in one gear (1st in my case), or not staying in a gear unless pressure is kept in the changer lever (3rd and 4th in my other case).

Jumping out of 2nd gear on hard acceleration was a sure sign that the update kit was needed. The symptoms of the detent spring vary, but can include being stuck in one gear (1st in my case), or not staying in a gear unless pressure is kept in the changer lever (3rd and 4th in my other case).
Also you will find more busted detent springs on the newer updated detent wheel and spring verses old. @Rocket Scientist is presently testing old detent spring with the new updated detent wheel When it come to @Tripps he was in second I suspect the cir-clip moved out of the groove and third gear wondered into the 2/3 dog ring locking both shafts and catastrophic failure occured.

Last edited:
Ok before I go any further @Bob spruce , do you know if your bike has had the update kit ? just curious before I interject more opinion because now with other opinions somebody is wrong. And I am sure everyone wants it to be the detent spring. (the cheap fix) if it has not had the update kit. I lean away from the detent spring.
no Update kit installed I have had the bike new from 05. I replaced the detent spring last winter. Don't belive that is it. Is replacing the gears not cost effective? I really think its the arm kicking out. I dont want to sell. I want to fix.

Also you will find more busted detent springs on the newer updated detent wheel and spring verses old. @Rocket Scientist is presently testing old detent spring with the new updated detent wheel When it come to @Tripps he was in second I suspect the cir-clip moved out of the groove and third gear wondered into the 2/3 dog ring locking both shafts and catastrophic failure occured.
Is it un rideable like this. I do think its the circlip. everything else runs great. What could lock up?

Hate to think about that, just replaced with new detent wheel, brg., and spring.

When it come to @Tripps he was in second I suspect the cir-clip moved out of the groove and third gear wondered into the 2/3 dog ring locking both shafts and catastrophic failure occured.

Spot on, according to Carpenter, who rebuilt it.

Is it un rideable like this. I do think its the circlip. everything else runs great. What could lock up?

Gearbox, engine - shaft drive, rear wheel ----------- All sphincters!.

Yup, see first quote.

Back