RoadVenture

.060 Over
What is the experience of people here with applying hardbags (NOT CORBIN) to the Rocket III? You know, ABS or fiberglass bags that can be locked and are watertight............

I have been looking casually at the mounting frames used with the saggy, leaky, non-locking Triumpg leather bags and wonder if anyone has removed theirs and put a set of locking, watertight ABS or fiberglass bags in that place.

If so, have you got pictures and the manufacturer's link?

Last edited:
I have compiled a list of all bags here... Link Removed

And I thought Flip posted a fix for saggy baggs around here somewhere but I can't find it. I am sure he will be posting here any minute anyway.

A little belated...

And I thought Flip posted a fix for saggy baggs around here somewhere but I can't find it. I am sure he will be posting here any minute anyway.

That's coming along. What I'm proposing will be a set of UHMW plastic inserts that will go inside the bags and will be secured to the inside with nickel plated or stainless Chicago Screws. The inserts will force the saggy bags to conform to their original shape and maintain that shape even when full of stuff without compromising the available space inside. Frumpy bags might look okay on a Hardley, but the crisp lines of the R3bagger don't look at all becoming with saggy bags. As usual, they will be reasonably priced and available at a discount to forum members. While not 'in your face bling', somehow purchasing a set of Triumph leather panniers and then having them sag and look frumpy isn't too cool.

I still remember Raymond's comment in Nashville about the panniers......."the bags look like ****". That about covers it. I'm also going to offer what I've found to be about the best leather care product around. Amy and I have been using this product on our equine saddles and harness and I use it on the panniers. You put it on with your fingers, rub it in and then wipe the excess off with a cloth and it imparts a nice sheen to the leather, keeps it soft and waterproofs it. Over the years, we've tried everything from Mink oil to Lexol and this stuff beats them all. It's not cheap, but then I can't produce it either.

Thanks. I looked at your list earlier. It seems to be heavy on leather and fabric bags which really don't interest me that much. I did find a couple of manufacturers in a search last night that look like good prospects.

That's coming along. What I'm proposing will be a set of UHMW plastic inserts that will go inside the bags and will be secured to the inside with nickel plated or stainless Chicago Screws. The inserts will force the saggy bags to conform to their original shape and maintain that shape even when full of stuff without compromising the available space inside...

I'm interest here Flipper. After just under a year and after regularly applying a cream preservative my bags looks like flaccid members; even with the added surround around bling. The inserts have my interest!!

Last edited:
Rocky:

I might add that for years now, Amy and I have been using a leather preservative and conditioner on our saddles and harness for the draft horses. A couple of years ago, I started to use it on my boots as I was always using mink oil or wax shoe polish. The winters here with the salt and the wet-dry-wet-dry kill shoes and boots. Anyway, I've been using this stuff on the bags on the Rocket too and it's nice stuff. You put it on with your fingers, rub it in and wipe the residue off with a cloth. That's it. It's called BlackRock Leather-N-Rich and it beats anything we have ever tried hands down. I'm trying to get a quantity from the manufacturer (no, I can't make the stuff) for us Captains who have leather bags.

Roady,
My wife has National Cycle hard bags on her and they've held up pretty nice over the years. I don't know if they fit the R3 but you could call'em and ask the dimensions of their bracketry.

Roady,
My wife has National Cycle hard bags on her and they've held up pretty nice over the years. I don't know if they fit the R3 but you could call'em and ask the dimensions of their bracketry.

Thanks Roady. I have a friend who also has the National Cycle bags on his Victory. They are good bags but I think I would want something a little larger.

Back