R3 touring bags on a classic/roadster

Yes, and I almost went that route. I have the brackets, but to clear the exhaust I would have had to mount the bags a lot higher. I was ok with it at first, but I do intend on putting a trunk on the bike eventually and I didn't want interference.
I have wrenched on a lot of harleys. Their bags open weird to clear the trunk. The new bags have the same hinges as our rockets, but they are mounted lower and the trunks higher.

Now I had the 3 exhaust pipes on mine. A roadster with only 2 might pull it off quite easily. Just weld the hard bag brackets to the easy bracket and I am sure it would work fine.
Just have to make it look like it should be there... ;)

@camccardell
First I've seen of this thread.
Darn fine workmanship.
I salute your efforts and thanks for sharing with pix! :thumbsup:

Well Done, beautifully engineered you now have the best of both worlds:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Your man after my own heart I love to Tinker and try and improve things as well but have not done anything as major as that on my Stead. Again Well done I take my hat off to you:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

thank you for the kind words. It truly warms my heart and makes me want to do more writeups

Since I have the rare classic tourer, seems only fitting to have the touring bags on it. Maybe it deserves a trunk too?

@camccardell I too think your project is awesome both in look and more importantly, your skill set. How has the work held out since completion? I'm sure you don't want to do it again, and from your narrative I can see where you would change procedure some with your learned lessons, so, what are your ideas for that top trunk? I personally do not like the look of a HD on this bike but not many of the other brands look quite right either...

This looks like an older thread but I'd like to add my kudos as well. Job well done! Thanks for the write up. There is alot of good info there.

@camccardell I too think your project is awesome both in look and more importantly, your skill set. How has the work held out since completion? I'm sure you don't want to do it again, and from your narrative I can see where you would change procedure some with your learned lessons, so, what are your ideas for that top trunk? I personally do not like the look of a HD on this bike but not many of the other brands look quite right either...

I am thinking of an older style Kawasaki trunk or maybe an older harley trunk. The new ones are awesome, but price says no. I like the curvature of the older jap bikes. They look kinda mean. I might be able to cut one up to look like it belongs. Time will tell.

Back