Coolant dump out of header tank

Punker

.040 Over
Ride
Trimph Rocket 3 Classic
Hi Guys.

A bit of trouble on the bike the weekend. Any advice would be helpful. Came back from a 100 mile ride and put the bike in the garage. An hour later went back into the garage and there was a large pool of fluid under the bike. The heater header tank was empty and the contents were on the floor. it had come out of the overflow pipes under the engine.

I've been told that it could be a head gasket gone but also a number of other things. I have ordered a new radiator cap from Triumph and that gets here tomorrow so I'm going to try that first. Went to buy some coolant but was asked if it was red or blue but seeing as the header tank is empty I don't know the colour. I have got hold of a syringe and some tubing and I will take the rad cap off tonight and try and syphon some coolant out to find ot the colour. I know you guys are a really experienced on Rocket faults and could give me a much needed advice. I was going away on it this this bank holiday weekend but that seems to be scuppered.

Thanks.

Punker

I think your headed in the right direction new cap and I would check the overflow hose to make sure there is no holes in her. Mine developed one. Also when you top her off make sure you bleed the air out of the engine the bleeder is right above the thermostat housing.
I remember there was a rash of head gasket problems in which there has been a change to the head gaskets. But I would first go the route your headed.

Concerning the anti freeze, if the unit still has the original stuff, you should be using a HOAT type (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). Colour doesn't make any difference for the most part. Some times mixing anti freeze types can cause blockage issues due to incompatibility.

I had the same issue when my Roadster was new, I found the radiator cap was not on tight, loosened the cap lock screw, turned cap all the way on and no more issues.

Back