Take it to the dealer and escalate escalate escalate.

Your bike has eaten it’s transmission dogs.

Sorry, you’re not the first unfortunately.

So, let me get this straight. The motor has Squirrels and the transmission has dogs.... LOL All kidding aside, thank you. I love this bike... Just sitting on it makes me smile.

Sounds to me like two separate issues, probably connected:

Popping out of gear - worn 2nd gear dog ring and probably burned shift fork.
Wont go into 1st - Burnt shift fork isn’t disengaging second, so the shift drum can’t rotate enough to disengage 2nd and engage 1st.

Could also be a damaged detent wheel, but I doubt it.

Sounds to me like two separate issues, probably connected:

Popping out of gear - worn 2nd gear dog ring and probably burned shift fork.
Wont go into 1st - Burnt shift fork isn’t disengaging second, so the shift drum can’t rotate enough to disengage 2nd and engage 1st.

Could also be a damaged detent wheel, but I doubt it.

This started happening with less than 400 miles on the bike. I do not do hole shots as I just don't have the balls. but I do accelerate hard after rolling in 1st and through second. I would not think this would cause damage like this but who knows. Generally by the time I hit 3rd I am breaking most speed laws and just shift thru 4th into 5th. Can't wait to work out these issues! Thanks again.

Rode it hard until it refused to stay in second gear at all.

Dropped it at the dealer and told them how to duplicate the issue, 22 months into my 24 month warranty.

They rebuild the trans, somewhat functionally, but had issues going into fourth at high RPM. It was smoother except at/near redline in fourth.

Keep escalating!!

The only spring they could replace without completely dismantling your bike would be tge detent spring. As Claviger has described this was likely NOT your issue at all. Im on the bent shift fork bandwagon .... sadly!

When my 05 finally shats it’s pants, I’ll be looking for a new bike. But not a Rocket III :(
Too many trans issues :thumbsdown:

You keep them red tins real purdy now for your ole' pal Fred, when that day arrives purdy.jpg

Back