2012 Roadster with 8,900 miles with a clutch problem!

Thanks for the replies Folks!

I can't imagine any individual or dealer not adjusting free play correctly as this is part of the setup and PDI inspections?? I did find a video on YouTube of the same year bike, with the clutch cable adjuster, tight against the lever housing from the factory!

Does anyone know of a reputable/ quality Dealer that is in my area? I will trailer the bike to around a 300 mile radius from where I live. I could also ride in and spend the night in the area whilst the repair is made.

I won't go with the OEM plates.

Thanks again!

Sam:cool:

Porky there is nothing really wrong with the OEM steels and really the fibers. I like Ian went with the MTC fibers but then they gave me my first set because they only had 185 horse and wanted them tested at a higher HP. I figured the price was right (free) so I said yes and by noon the next day they were on my porch :) Whether you use theirs or a combination of Hyabusa plates (make sure you get the stack height right as Hyabusa'a have different plate thicknesses to play with. Barnett makes a set also.

now as for the clutch free play being right from the dealer. I stop at a lot of dealers and always squeeze the clutch levers on the rockets including the touring. You would not believe how many are not right. Now if you decide to do it yourself and you want a short cut do not pull the front wheel and fender just lay a thick bath towel over the fender to protect it. Triumph has you pull it so you do not scratch the fender and it does give you more room. But if your not going to need the room but for only three of four hours leave them on cover the fender and just be careful when your pulling the radiator off and putting it back on.
Now you just saved a bunch of time making for a less the 4 hour job :D

Now to touch on the differences you see in the adjuster end and the lock nut between bikes. Part of that is because the have the cable sheath length different. This is controlled down by the lifter shaft arm where the cable mounts to the clutch cover and block. pictured below circled in Yeller

Clutch Cable Sheath Adjustment.jpg

ignore the external spring it is my modification not Triumphs.

Wow, what a great site and response!

I went to the search feature and typed in: "Slipping clutch." and I see I'm not alone with this problem!

This Rocket 3 is my 79th bike/ scooter and I've never had a clutch problem except on a new 1969 Bultaco Pursang, track and desert bike that I raced in many events in Southern California, The clutch slipped a little when hot, in the middle of a high speed, wide open race but an extra steel drive plate was the quick, cheap and easy cure.

I am going to put the bike on my full size hydraulic lift and try the following: Adjust the free play at the actuator arm and re-adjust the lever free play too, change oil and filter and use Shell Rotella "T", diesel oil. in 15w-40 (Non-synthetic) and see if this makes a difference. Maybe the past bike owner put Automotive oil in it with the friction modifier??

I'll report the results!

Sam:)

57,000 on mine with stock plates. No slippage. They however are about the only thing that hasn't f_cked up right on schedule. It a good thing I love this bike or I would have tossed a match to it long ago :)

Last edited:
warp9.9, Do you replace clutches for others? In case I'm not successful, I wouldn't mind driving/ riding the 417 miles from my place to yours, it could be a mini-vacation! Please PM me if you want to. www.4pfarm@gmail.com

Sam

warp9.9, Do you replace clutches for others? In case I'm not successful, I wouldn't mind driving/ riding the 417 miles from my place to yours, it could be a mini-vacation! Please PM me if you want to. www.4pfarm@gmail.com

Sam

I never have done work on other bikes. Never really gave it much thought. That being said I do feel from the way your writing you could do the clutch easily. I have assisted other with technical advice when they had clutch problems and walked them thru the process and answered any questions they had. Never had one of them not succeed in doing it themselves. I wish I had the time as I want to stop at a leather shop in Eureka Springs to see about getting measure for a coat. but being retired is not all Sunday's as the wifey reminds me:) I am even finding it hard to get down tot he barn to work on my next Rocket modification. A radial Steering damper mount. :( good thing I am the customer and understand delays :)

Personally I would put the right oil in her some type of 15w 50 4RT oil. Motul makes a great one. as does mobile and I think maybe casteroil. I also like the 20W50 AMS Oil Motorcycle oil. I ran my SC rocket for darn near 40,000 miles on the mobile 1 with no problems at all.

If you run into problems do not hesitate to ask questions. there is a lot of knowledgeable people on this site and I of course will answer anything I can.

Thanks my Friend!

I appreciate the advice and understand about time factors as I'm retired and still work 60 to 70 hours per week at work and still pull duty on our Farm, at Church and with local Charitable Organizations.

Riding is my only therapy.

It will all work out!

Sam:)

It isn't a difficult job to do. It is mostly undoing bolts, then doing them back up again later. If you do it yourself then you can take it apart and check the steels, and the clutch lifting mechanism. If they need replacing then you can order them, but if they don't, then you are ahead.

Get a couple of disposable aluminium baking trays and use them to hold the parts from each section as you remove them. It will make it much easier to put it all back together.

Plus a torque wrench 3/8 drive for the small bolts like the spring bolts use the proper torque and you will not break anything :) Ian is right this way you only order what you need. and I would order from Andy at NCY in Sandiego it will be the cheapest in the states.

Plus a torque wrench 3/8 drive for the small bolts like the spring bolts use the proper torque and you will not break anything :) Ian is right this way you only order what you need. and I would order from Andy at NCY in Sandiego it will be the cheapest in the states.

Scott,
I looked up NCY Motorsports in San Marcos and while it looks as though they sell Triumphs there is NO parts fiche for the brand.
Is this the correct joint?

Back