Working on an Intake project

Well, funny thing about the world...

If you invent it, chances are someone else already has, somewhere, at some point in time :)

Sexy as fox carbon solution off the shelf, requires a little custom work, but the hard stuff is done:

Reverie Universal Carbon Fibre Airboxes

Reverie Universal zolder Carbon Fibre Airboxes

Itg foam air filter for zolder 112 air box - ITG Foam air filters for Reverie

Good luck the bottom flange plate on that one is 17.125 inches long!!!

Well, funny thing about the world...

If you invent it, chances are someone else already has, somewhere, at some point in time :)

Sexy as fox carbon solution off the shelf, requires a little custom work, but the hard stuff is done:

Reverie Universal Carbon Fibre Airboxes

Reverie Universal zolder Carbon Fibre Airboxes

Itg foam air filter for zolder 112 air box - ITG Foam air filters for Reverie
I thought your original design looked a lot like what Wayne Tripp was working on for use with the Pipercross filter, before he retired.

Good luck with the project. Keep in mind several things. 1) No pressure drop = no flow. Intake flow starts, stops, reverses, and re-starts with every 2 revolution cycle. 2) Sound waves bounce off surfaces and reflect into any and all orifices. 3) Ram air pressure is minimal at less than 100mph but can be used if harnessed well. 5) Bigger volumes reduce Helmholtz pulse magnitudes. 4) The intake valve closing event generates far larger pulses than any other part of the intake system. This means these pulses drive the manifold pressure fluctuations and are overlaid on top of the Helmholtz frequency.

Thanks speedy, if I recall right you're an engineer of some sort.

Iv found that the runner length by slapping filters on the TBs is WAY too short, sadly there is only room to get a 4th wave harmonic using runner length, and even then its on the top of the RPM band, over 6k, other wise there would be some crazy big snake of pipes hanging off the side of the bike :/

Having some issues getting a design together that I like, will look good, and actually take advantage of runner tuning + keep the intake shoved out flat towards the front of the bike for any little ram air effect possible. It's actually quite the task lol.

Having gotten some ideas from the Reverie, and that really nice find on the slip in foam filter they make, I went ahead and did some dimensionally accurate drawings for a back plate that adds enough runner to bring the 4th harmonic down into the usable RPM range, though it's still high, 5500-6100 region, it's almost enough length for the 3rd harmonic which is active from 7000-8000, so for those with built motors, you'll get 3rd and 4th harmonic effects.

It's big, yep. Will require bottle relocation, no claw.

combined back.jpg
combined back of the back.jpg
combined front of the back.jpg

Ok some parts and blanks etc are on order, I'll be able to verify fitment without forking out on an expensive part that may not fit right off.

I also figured out a really nifty way of mating the top of the part with the tank edge where the bear claw runs and incorporating that into the drawing of the top cover, it's very labor intense, so might not get to this for awhile, but certainly not until I get the backplate in and test fit.

In the name of expense, I think I'm going with to go with a production back plate from ReVerie as well as their ITG filter. The plumbing will be 3d printed, allowing for nice tapered perfect curves on the runners, this will get you to a mountable large face intake filter, similar to Warp 9.9s setup. From there, Ill be finishing the cover, which is roughed out already, and joining it with the contour along the bottom of the tank, edged with a fine rubber cover so nothing touches directly, but its not critical to be air tight there.

So this project is on hold, at least for the moment until parts arrive.

ON THE OTHER HAND:

I have been thinking a lot about the stock setup and runner lengths etc, and, it would seem they had a good idea spoiled by a few things, in particular: Where to put the filter, noise, plenum volume limited by location, emissions, and targeting the very very bottom of the RPM scale with it. I have idea for secondary concept inspired by the stock intake, guided by the Rotrex pressurized intake, with a little spin on proper runner length to get 2nd, 3rd, and 4th harmonic at usable RPMs on a mostly stock R3. Clearly this wont be super simple, its going to look like an octopus, and its going to be a nightmare to install/remove, however, in my head I can see it fitting under the stock Bear Claw and providing nothing but gains in horsepower.

Interesting concept. I have also read that one of the advantages of the bell mouth trombone runners was that by having the bell mouth opening raised above the plate by say an inch or so you enable more air to be drawn into the trumpet from below and around the bell mouth lip. This could be achieved by cutting 3 cylindrical holes in the foam filter to accommodate them.

Ram Air also has panel foam filters of various sizes to make you own filters. the 300mm x200mm x 15mm thick 2 layer foam are $7.50 each with free shipping. If you click on their 'other items" there is a huge range of at least a 100 RamAir filters to choose from and as many do not have the plates and air sensor setup like the R3 version are heaps cheaper.

Ramair Filters Universal Large Foam Pad 300 x 200 - DIY - Lawnmower - Chainsaw

ramair-filters | eBay

ramair-filters | eBay

Sounds like this article will float your boat and fulfill your love of math.
http://www.profblairandassociates.com/pdfs/RET_Bellmouth_Sept.pdf

In the September 2006 issue of Race Engine Technology Magazine, Prof. G.P. Blair, and Melvin Cahoon (Volvo-Penta of the Americas) discuss how to optimise the design of an engine air intake bellmouth and the use of advanced software as an aid to the process. The title of this article is "Best Bell"

I have a custom made huge sand cast alloy plenum and intake system for my Mitsubishi Magna AWD (Diamante in the US) 6G74 3.5l V6. An Aussie Magna forum member designed and had them made up after a few prototypes. Unfortunately they are much heavier than the stock item as he was trying to increase torque in the heavy AWD by using a very large plenum with cast dual smaller diameter and longer runners for each intake. On these the plenum is after the large single TB. As the radiused runner openings are fully enclosed inside of the plenum I was planning to cut it open and either just smooth grind with a Dremel tool all the flow surfaces of the radiused runners that are flush to the surface of the plenum and /or use some radiused bell mouth stainless steel cups/bowls and cut out the bases to fit and possibly use liquid metal resin to make smooth transitions to the runners and then have it welded back together.

I got the idea from here: AutoSpeed - Ballistic Bellmouths

I've spent years visiting Woolworths grocery and kitchen stores without success as they stopped stocking them (though I do remember seeing them before I read the article). I have finally found something similar, sets of 4 small SS bowls 40mm deep with a base 45mm across and the bell mouth 95mm. These would allow the intakes to be raised up to approx 40mm from the plate wall depending on the runner intake diameter.

What is the opening width or the R3 runners where the Ram Air attachs?

Cheap pewter or SS wine goblets from lawn sales/ junk shops could also be a source. I like the idea of scavenging and re-purposing things.

Last edited:
I did some more looking around there is an off the shelf series of products that can work, and integrate a filter into the box.

Reverie :: Carbon Airbox

There are at least 3 that will adapt well and provide cold/rammed air. Essentially my project died the minute I found out how much the pieces would cost out to 3d print, plus reverie does carbon fiber velocity stacks that can be bonded into the back plate for a permanent air tight seal. It's actually cheaper to buy a full carbon box by reverie than have this setup 3d printed...

Currently I'm working on a inexpensive way to get a PX-600 mounted up with a little extra runner length. Post Carpenter work, I may do the Reverie airbox and see how it changes the power band.

Back