Why R3 front end won't work well on RIIIs

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I was considering this swap, primarily for the offset axle which provides extra trail for a given fork angle. Posting for anyone who might search for it in the future.

As it turns out this is a non-starter, for an odd reason. Online, you'll find a 27.9 degree steering angle often repeated; however, from what I can find, there is an offset built into the triple clamps that kicks the actual fork angle out to 32 degrees.

If you were to fit the R3 parts to an RIII, you would have a 36.1 degree fork angle, not great, and it would be very lazy steering.

Last edited:
I was considering this swap, primarily for the offset axle which provides extra trail for a given fork angle. Posting for anyone who might search for it in the future.

As it turns out this is a non-starter, for an odd reason. Online, you'll find a 27.9 degree steering angle often repeated; however, from what I can find, there is an offset built into the triple clamps that kicks the actual fork angle out to 32 degrees.

If you were to fit the R3 parts to an RIII, you would have a 36.1 degree fork angle, not great, and it would be very lazy steering.
Claviger are you absolutely sure this is correct? I always thought the R3's had less rake than the RIII. I tried doing some research into this, as I was wanting to rake my RIII out a couple of degrees, and I was considering using the R3 trees. Though I'm not sure fork diameters are the same...

Back