Working on an Intake project

When I "tweak my flux capacitor" it usually..................... Oh never mind :eek:
flux.jpg

Wow this thread sat still for awhile, though I did say “when I get my bike back from Carpenter”...well here we are!

I’ve been using my bolt in stack version of PX-600 without issue, but I think I can do better and the 600 is really overkill, a bit too big for the available space.

I’ve finished the design on a PX-500 backplate with integrated funnels that is nicer than the original posted here. Just a minute ago ordered a PX-504, so when that arrives I’ll double check measurements and if all aligns I’ll order the backplate to be printed with integrated funnels.

The final step will be fastening the PX-500 in a way that doesn’t use the tabs, so they can be cut off, and in a manner that can have the filter installed and removed while leaving the backplate in place. I have an idea of how I want to do it, but will need it here to validate.

FINALLY, so long later this started its about two weeks from completion. If it all aligns and fitsas is with no redesign I’ll make the 3D model file publicly available and setup a link to order it for yourself, costs below.

PX-500 - $110 (eBay)
Backplate with stacks - $129 (Shapeways Nylon)
6 Hose clamps - $6-$60 ( depends which you use)
6” of 60mm ID Silicone hose - $10( eBay)

Yes it’s more expensive than any other setup for the R3 except the RX-4040-1s, but it should out flow all of them easily. 60mm because it stretches over the 62 bodies and holds very tight, it also grabs the printed material really well where 62mm would need a good bit more hose clamp pressure.

Last edited:
Ok putting these here in case I forget:

TB Spacing between Cylinders: 113.5mm
Inner Diameter of TBs: 55.6mm
Outer Diameter of TBs: 62.3mm

My calipers are kinda meh but there's a very close approximation, the odd numbers make me suspect they're actually an imperial size. Took the intake apart just now to see how the printed Nylon is holding up...

Hardly a single mark on it, looks like new. Smells like gas haha. I here for deem Shapeways Nylon totally acceptable for intake work as far as temperature and survival in a gas vapor environment.

Last edited:
The first batch of stacks I ordered had some slight dimensional mismatching as a result of material shrinkage while it was printed. I've adjusted to compensate for that, slightly undersizing the joint between the printed part and the throttle body. If the next order is off, its going to be off in the direction of being slightly too small a diameter so I can sand it out to sit perfectly flush and leave no lip at all. After thinking it over and handling the material some more, I'm not confident in a printed backplate without making it 4-5mm thick, which becomes extremely expensive.

I've found a proper sized rubber coupler to avoid the **** fight that is slipping 60mm reinforced silicone hose over a 62.3mm connection. Its cheap as chips, and you can cut the 3" piece into 3x1" connectors for my design, which has a reinforced 1/2" mounting are for the coupler, and the other 1/2" will sit nicely on the TB.

Below is what will probably be my final solution. Holes are 4mm for mounting, intended to be used with these two items, 4 of each:
Aluminium Dome Head Bolt M4 x (0.7mm) x 12mm Extra Large Head
Aluminium Nylock Nut M4 + loctite to ensure nothing works loose

The holes for the stacks can be drilled with a 2.5" hole saw into the backplate, as the mounting flange is larger than 2.5" and will require only a small bead of silicone around the base up against the stack to get squished while assembling to create an airtight seal. Still working out how to seal the filter to the backplate after the whole assembly is mounted to the throttle bodies without using the standard pipercross mounting tabs (may end up having to do so.

Final design, its the best balance of price/simplicity I could come up with. The base has a 1mm ring 1/2 way up the mounting area to give the clamp some edges to bite against. Standoff from the TB to the backplate is 50mm, total stack height, 75mm. The protrusion into the filtered area will help prevent water from running in while the bike is sitting in the rain, overall width is 317mm, internal width of the PX-500 SHOULD (pending measurement next week when it arrives) be 320mm:

Shapeways Printing Cost: $109
Bolt in Triple - Copper.jpg
Bolt in Triple - Pink.jpg

In the pink render you can see how thick the bottom 13mm are, its to allow a perfect match to the TB outer diameter and simplify installation. The nylon allows quite a bit of pressure from a hose clamp before deforming so it should be able to hold on quite well with this method.

I've found a proper sized rubber coupler to avoid the **** fight that is slipping 60mm reinforced silicone hose over a 62.3mm connection. Its cheap as chips, and you can cut the 3" piece into 3x1" connectors for my design, which has a reinforced 1/2" mounting are for the coupler, and the other 1/2" will sit nicely on the TB.
But it's not a pretty colour!.

63mm bore

Back