Vinyl vs. Leather

kingmerle

child of the king
Ride
08 R3T
Help me out here guys. I just contracted with RICK MAYER to rebuild my R3T seat. He has the option of using either a premiun vinyl or leather. I chose the leather but I am having second thoughts. Im concerned about the maintainance of the leather and also about the seat getting wet. They sell a waterproof cover for the leather seat but Im worried that Ill let the bike sit out somewhere and it will get rained on unexpectantly and then Im sunk. I also wonder if I leave the cover on while Im away from the bike that someone will swipe it. Is the leather that much more comfortable while riding that it is worth the extra $100. Also there is a heated seat option that I am considering. I just question how heating my butt is going to help the areas that actually get cold. Ive never had a cold butt while riding. Its the fingers, toes, acd chest that get cold. Does the heated seat help these areas or is it just another bells and whistle thing that really has no value.

Leather breathes better so you will sweat less in hot weather and on long rides.
Just grease it up regularly with a preservative and it'll repel water well enough. Also will prevent drying and cracking.

Nothing like natural hide.

Leather vs vinyl really comes down to personal preferences. Vinyl is much more maintenance free and no doubt less expensive. Personally, having had both, I'd opt for the vinyl. Since there are multiple layers of material between my skin and the seat (well other than those odd drunken midnight rides) I really don't get much benefit from the leather.

As to heat, I'd say get it. A heated seat is one of those things that until you experience it, you just don't know what you're missing. Don't know the science behind it, but a warm tush on a cold ride is a good thing.

Leather holds up very well to rain. Unless you let you bike stay outside all year there's nothing to worry about with a leather seat. My seat, leather jacket, and chaps have all been soaked many times with no issues. Just use a good leather product.

I had Rick Mayer do my seat and I chose to go with the vinyl. I was very pleased with the quality of the work. Unfortunately, the underlying Triumph foam was just too soft for my considerable weight. I ended up selling it and going with a Corbin in black leather. Very, very happy with the Corbin. Depending on how heavy you are, you may want to reconsider the choice. If you're not so heavy, then the Rick Mayer mod is the way to go.

Below is my Mayer seat.

Although I cannot confirm Hd's claims because IDK got to the seat befor I could buy it from him. I have found alligator hide to be stronger and breathes fine do to no constant contact patch of the arse

Leather is great-but with all due respect to Rick Meyer you may want to re-think his rain cover. The web site states that the cover they offer is not suggested to use while riding as the rider will "cover" the seat. Please. As for the color bleeding thru to the seat-well, use better materials.

Get a real rain cover designed to cover the seat for all weather events. What if you stop for lunch in the rain-bike is not under cover, or the like.. For quality seat makers like Meyer and Corbin to offer covers and then suggest you not use them for riding-I don't get that at all. So much so, I made my own.

I have vinyl and seat heat on my Vision. I use the seat heat more than I EVER thought I would and I'll never have another touring bike without it. As for hot weather, the vinyl is terrible compared to leather but I'll ride all day in the rain on that bike so leather won't work. Once the foam gets soaked, it's a pain in the.....bad pun, never mind.

My solution was a $10 wooden seat bead cover from the Chinese Flea Market (Wal Mart). Looks like heck but I don't care. I have ridden in 90+ temps all day with no backside issues and if it rains the water doesn't pool up and soak your ****** through "waterproof" gear!

It also makes it easy to slide around on the seat to readjust your position. For this reason, I'm not going to use them on the Roadster. I don't want to slide off the back :D

Back