Valve Clearance.

I have a 1" chisel that could use a new purpose! I understand what you described.
I was afraid to nick the surface with a metal tool....
Throttle bodies are on. Gas tank off (see pic)
Spark plug boots?? Not sure what you mean here. I might have forgotten something I'll have to look.
@warp9.9 always so helpful I really appreciate it! One day I'll have to buy you coffee, or beer :D

Attachments

• IMG_20170619_102358201.jpg
    IMG_20170619_102358201.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1" chisel that could use a new purpose! I understand what you described.
I was afraid to nick the surface with a metal tool....
Throttle bodies are on. Gas tank off (see pic)
Spark plug boots?? Not sure what you mean here. I might have forgotten something I'll have to look.
@warp9.9 always so helpful I really appreciate it! One day I'll have to buy you coffee, or beer :D

Nice. Ok first so you do not have problem, slide a bolt back in each caliper and hang it back on the mounts so you do not stress the lines; one bolt in each and just spin them in a few threads with your fingers. It's the shock that will free it. Rubber hammers are good for nothing. A dead blow would be better but believing you do not have a ball peen or I suppose even a claw hammer say at least 24 ounce 32 would be better let me post this and then I will add pictures from my phone.

Ok the chisel
20170619_192158.jpg

Ok see I ground a flat so its not a sharp edge

20170619_192142.jpg

Ok see I am under the gasket so it has a little padding before contact on the cam cover. Since yours has the front empty you will also be able to pop her a few times between the front bolts on the cam cover. plus you might be able to get in on the two arc segments in the front of the head in line with the cams. In my opinion from machining since 1976 these are there so they can line bore the cam journals with the cam ladder installed. just like line boring crankshafts or multi stage impeller pumps. Lots of rubber on them segments so you do not damage anything and obviously I am guessing you will need a new gasket anyway. When you go back to gether try a softer gasket compound like Hylomar or Permatex silicone type

Hope this helps

Totally forgot about the calipers after temporarily fitting the front wheel to take the engine guard off. :(

My gasket doesn't have a lip, it's recessed about a 1-2mm between the two. I'll try with the chisel tomorrow. Wish me luck!

You mentioned spark plug boots. Did you mean the spark plug wires? Spark plugs have been taken out

Totally forgot about the calipers after temporarily fitting the front wheel to take the engine guard off. :(

My gasket doesn't have a lip, it's recessed about a 1-2mm between the two. I'll try with the chisel tomorrow. Wish me luck!

You mentioned spark plug boots. Did you mean the spark plug wires? Spark plugs have been taken out

Yes and I noticed they were already pulled out with the coils. Oh and while I am thinking about it, when you go back together with her the plate that fits on the front coil (hold all them wire connectors). Don't put it in. That way when ever you want to check the coil connections you can move the wires and reach it. The spade connectors can get loose it is easier without them.

Upon closer inspection which I can not see the gasket I think I see a Russel day long passenger saddle on her looks comfy are those classic floor board rails? Oh man it looks from the picture that she might be supporting a dark side rear. ( that's the whole problem :D) Hope you catching the humor I am projecting :)

Get her off! woohooo!

I put the Rikken this spring, jury's still out but I'm getting used to it :)
The Russel was ok, I got them to readjust it but still get some lower back pain, especially if I remove the backrest. On a trip the foam adhesive gave and the whole thing moved forward towards the tamk and I basically had to do surgery on it on the spot. So i'm not too impressed. I have another stock seat, just waiting for the right place/time to get a new seat done.
No more tailbone pain though, I can ride 1000km 600mi a day, just the lower back is killing me.

BACK to valve clearances... Exhaust side is all .008" but one is .007" So i'm happy with that, well I think I should be.
On the intake side though, they're all less than .003" (my thinnest feeler gauge) so it looks like I'll have to get shims. Since all 6 need changed I'm thinking I'm better off

I figure it would not argue with the right size hammer :D
My back used to hurt but the back rest corrected my posture. Would not ride without one. I just need to do some front work on the seat to make a pocket in it for less pressure.

Is there any thread about the cam shaft removal? I didn't see any video on youtube. Me like videos lol
The manual calls for new gasket at the tensioner. Is that really necessary?

Back