Valve Clearance.

Since my bike is already half apart. I though lets check valve clearances.
NOTE to self: The Rivco engine guard blocks access to 2 cam cover bolts :(

So it's all apart, I can't get the valve cover off. Tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, no go.
The valve cover is solid, yes all the bolts are off! It's stuck on there really good!
Anyone has had issued taking it off? I'll take any advice ATM!

Mine came off with a slight tap with a rubber mallet. Are you the original owner? It could very well be that the previous owner used a sealant on the gasket. The only help I can give is keep tapping. Patience is a virtue.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mine came off with a slight tap with a rubber mallet. Are you the original owner? It could very well be that the previous owner used a sealant on the gasket. The only help I can give is keep tapping. Patience is a virtue.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yep original owner.
from what I can see from the rubber grommets, when I had the valve clearance done by the dealer they put on a lot of silicone or MTV whatever its called.
Been tapping it for a good 10 minutes, absolutely no movement. I will try heat
It's not like there are many places to tap on there

That sucks. Good luck. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( Wait a minute. Have you tried using a piece of wood like a 3/4 by 2 about 8 inches long tapping it with a hammer along the areas were you can reach.

I will try with a piece of wood tonight.
I tried to gently squeeze in a plastic putty knife, it didn't work but I didn't try that hard as once I damage the gasket there is no coming back.

Use a good drift or, if you do not have one, a cold chisel that is not sharp -- grind about 1 MM flat on the cold chisel so it is not sharp. Give a tap with a good ball peen hammer and she will pop up. Make sure you go under the gasket lip front right corner and since you have the radiator and clutch cover off you can get a couple spots in front by the two bolts. Make sure you go under the rubber lip so there is a little padding to keep from damaging the cover. Check the cover for burs and file if needed once off. Also to make sure as you said you have pulled all 9 cam cover bolts plus the spark plug boots!!
If this is not clear I can grind a chisel and go out to my bike and take a picture of it for you. This way you understand what I mean. There is no gasket sealant that will hold that puppy on except CAT green which I doubt the previous owner would spend that kind of money when he could buy a Permatex product. Also you can take the header loose and loosen the lower clamp to pipe/cat or cat delete and rotate the header down and work it up along the whole left side plus the front if needed. Did you pull the throttle bodies or leave them on? They do not have to come off just trying to figure out what you are working with so I can better help.

Also did you take the fuel tank off (which is easy) or are you trying to work around that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back