Valve Clearance.

I agree but the micrometer are more accurate. Did not figure that triumph changed the .05 increments. That is good info. At this stage of the game cost has taken a stage left. I figure with the miles I ride per year the extra shims will be used at some time or the other. Need to get some feeler gauges that are in between the required specs. The better the measurement before taken it all apart and checking size of existing shim is real important to getting the correct size shim in place. Patience and doing the correct math with the proper measurements is important. Thanks again for your input. YOU GOT ME THINKING.

I just did mine @sonny not long ago and used these spreadsheets, hope they help you also,
Managed to borrow the shims from Triumph and swap over what I needed at no cost.

Exhaust shim clearance sheet.jpeg
Inlet shim clearance sheet.jpeg

Good digital calipers are fine. Genuine Triumph shims are like $20Aust each here. Yamaha TT350 FJ 1100 shims fit and are cheaper. The cost of the shims is one reason( not the only one) why our cams are billet not reground. Buying 12 shims is a bit of a saving at $20 each. even at $10 each.

Pretty sure that @warp9.9 isn't small minded enough to not help you out. As far as I know the Rocket valves usually only tighten up though I am sure they could go either way. Too tight is a problem because the valves must seat to dissipate heat or they will burn out. If you use the @Rocket Scientist method do not turn the engine over with a shim removed or you will chip the bucket( so I hear). Also use a micrometer if you need to measure the shims as calipers are not accurate enough.

Warp's been on the road and is back at home. I see I've been missed (keep your hands out of your pants :D) 1,000 miles and man it's good to be home. Now to find my laptop and plug it in. Smart phones are nice but man little keys. Sounds like you have it well underway. Now the difference between Paul and me besides him being much older and has less hair :) would be I would grab a calculator and change everything to English measurement units as this old tool maker does not own a metric micrometer.

As Nev says a good set of calipers would work fine. I think Paul and I having the tools of the trade readily available would probably grab the micrometer first.
For those who are not Machinists or Tool Makers I would suggest the calipers as they have a larger range of measurement for you. Heck they even make them digital now in case you're not adept at reading a micrometer.

Last edited by a moderator:
So @sonny how did it go? Did you make Rocket Scientists valve depressor tool?
I'm about to take the valve cover off. Not sure if I need shims yet but I can use tips!
I had to replace 7 shims so I took the cams out. I also removed the throttle bodies which made the job rather easy, especially when it came time to install the cam cover and gasket. 2,000 miles later running good and no leaks from cam cover. ;););););)

I had to replace 7 shims so I took the cams out. I also removed the throttle bodies which made the job rather easy, especially when it came time to install the cam cover and gasket. 2,000 miles later running good and no leaks from cam cover. ;););););)
Told you it wouldn't leak ! I sent you some good Dartmoor Ju Ju . :) :)

Back