Hanso, I've always wondered about the safety of using a flushing product, have you always had good results with it? Also would it be safe to use STP injector cleaner?

I recently had an oil and filter change and the mechanic used exactly 5.5 litres which filled to the top mark. He used the same method, took all plugs out and let drain for a fair while.

I just use Motul 3100 20w50 cos I change every 3000 kms and can't justify the expense of full syn. here in Brazil. Motul 3100 (22 Reais or 11,50 dollars) Motul 5100 (38 Reais or 19,80 dollars) and that's with a strong exchange rate.

Cheers

Hate to be the one to tell you but you can damage a motor by changing your oil to often I use Castrol full synthetic (I forget the full name) at $80.00 for 4 litres (yes that is right $20 a litre) and still change it earlier than recommended at 10,000klm the recommended change is 16,000klm or 10,000 mile I only use quality stuff in my girl and I use K&N oil filters which I get from Flipmiesters

Hate to be the one to tell you but you can damage a motor by changing your oil to often .
The only way that I can think is if you strip the threads that the bolts go in:eek:

T was actually explained to me that you can cause glazing of your bores

I will try to use full syn next time but it will be a pricey 240 in my currency, and that's for the affordable stuff. Reason I continued using a quality mineral like the Motul 3100 is because the 1st owner used nothing but mineral and his mechanic at the time said only to use mineral and not synthetic for two reasons, he said that if I changed to full syn. that it would start acting as a high detergent on the previously used mineral oil and also because I only do 3-4000 a year.
Now I'm even more confused than ever, not about which brand, but if I'm safe to switch. I really want to use full syn. I do change once a year but is it still worth the extra cost for 3-4000 km a year driving?

Should I use a flush before changing to full syn.?

Damaging your motor by changing oil to often is complete nonsense! At least not due to the new oil. Maybe because of incompetence on the part of the person changing the oil. Give it a try. I bet you go broke from the cost of the oil long before you damage your engine. Just my 2 cents worth........

T was actually explained to me that you can cause glazing of your bores
This was actually told to me by a Petrochemical Engineer he said with the advance methods used to make oil it needs to be run in your motor at least 5,000 Klm and to tell you the truth I was sceptical but After 10,000 klm of reasonably hard riding at time reving out to my extended rev limit when I am playing in the twisties the oil apart from a slight discolouration is still in bloody good condition which is why they say it is good for 16,000 klm.
He also told me it is excessive heat that breaks the oils down and that Synthetics avoid that by being that more efficient

Damaging your motor by changing oil to often is complete nonsense! At least not due to the new oil. Maybe because of incompetence on the part of the person changing the oil. Give it a try. I bet you go broke from the cost of the oil long before you damage your engine. Just my 2 cents worth........

Plus 1 on that! Your engine would love an endless steady supply of clean new oil.

RockyIII,

Your current thinking about using dino oil is not bad logic. You certainly can use that oil if you change it frequently. I would be more concerned about the "weight" of the oil versus synthetic or dino. If you can get 15w50 (which is recommended), that would be better then running the 20w50.

Plus 1 on that! Your engine would love an endless steady supply of clean new oil.

RockyIII,

Your current thinking about using dino oil is not bad logic. You certainly can use that oil if you change it frequently. I would be more concerned about the "weight" of the oil versus synthetic or dino. If you can get 15w50 (which is recommended), that would be better then running the 20w50.

If I was going to use Dino oil in my Rocket, it would be a 15/40 Delo 400 diesel truck oil. The additive package is way better than a gas engine Dino oil.

Or any of the other 15/40 diesel specific oils. All the diesel oils have a very robust additive package in compared to regular 15/40 gas engine oil.

Try it!

Thanks for the added advice. I realise that 15w50 is better and also that 15w40 diesel is a good bet, but in my part of the world there aren't so many options. Mobil and Motul rule here pretty much. Repsol is available here.
When I go back to London in December I will probably pick up 6 litres Silkolene comp. full syn 15w50, that should do the job nicely.

Back