Joe Rocket

.020 Over
Bought a set of TOR's for my '09 RIII Touring. Once recieved, realized there just regular pipes with the baffles bore out. Now have a set of '09 RIII Touring TOR's available. All you have to do is drill out the baffles. Any takers?

Um, I've never owned a set of TORS but from what I understand they don't have cats. If all you have is a set of stock pipes with the baffles removed, but the cats in place, you don't have a set of TORS.

RIII TORs

The TORs are pipes only. The catalytic converter is a separate and distinct component. For the RIII Roadster, Triumph makes a Cat Elimination box for a three pipe system, sold separately from the TORs. For the Touring model, no Cat Elimination box is available. I'm still exploring replacing the catalytic converter with some stock exhaust piping. My concern is exhaust valve damage if just straight open pipes are installed. I believe the Roadster cat bypass has some minimal baffling to provide some back pressure. Either way, the RIII Touring TORs out of the box are the same as stock pipes with no baffles. I cannot comment as to the RIII Roadster three pipe system.

This has been discussed either here or at the .com site some time ago. It was said that the cats are in fact in the standard exhaust for the touring model. I am not sure if someone cut open a set of pipes or what, but I was assured in the thread that the collector under the bike was most assuredly empty of any cat like components. Is this now wrong?

This has been discussed either here or at the .com site some time ago. It was said that the cats are in fact in the standard exhaust for the touring model. I am not sure if someone cut open a set of pipes or what, but I was assured in the thread that the collector under the bike was most assuredly empty of any cat like components. Is this now wrong?

You are right. When I removed my exhaust system to install the Jardines I checked out that box. It is indeed empty. The cats on the R3T are in the forward section of each muffler housing.

Ok, yall got me wondering now. I'm goin home to look. If I gut my exhaust and there is indeed nothing in the crossover box, what kind of problems should I expect? I want a little more rumble!

That crossover box is likely being used as a resonator. Cars use several of them in the exhaust to help quite things down. If one were to remove the crossover and replace it with pipe (something I would like to do) it should get you a little more sound out the back.

GPMAZ is 100% right. The cats on the R3T's are in the stock mufflers. The cross over box is to balance exhaust note between mufflers.

OK, was gonna tear into them but looks a little involved. My question is, when I do gut the fiberglass or whatever is in there, what kind of idiot lights can I expect? I just need a little more sound. I still have the Goldwing whine going on and wanna cover it up just a bit. I already drilled them out through the 3/4 inch hole with a 2' long bit and that gave me a slight pop on decceleration but I need a little more.

When I first installed the TOR's, the Rocket was loud, raunchy, and blew flames out the exhaust. It scared the hell out of my 100# bulldog. I took it into work the next day, and the roar of the bike and explosions out the rear when decelerating caused much neck snappping from pedestrians and stares from commuters around me. The performance was amazingly enhanced to match modified two stroke Kawasaki triple cafe racers from the '70s (I know, I owned one). It also smelled to high heaven of unburnt fuel.

On the way home from work I stopped by the local triumph dealer to retune the ECU to match the TOR's. This actually detuned the bike from blowing flames and explosions to popping, eliminate the unburnt fuel smell, and god knows how much horsepower.

It's slightly more peppy now, louder but not obnoxious, but **** I miss that horsepower rush before the detune.

Back