Not tyres again

Ishmael

Supercharged
Apologies in advance if this has already been canvassed but:
I've just been surfing around trying to find options and I'm not yielding much so:

What is the ranges of tyres available in Australia that suit the beastie?
150/80 R17
240/50 R16
Metz obviously but what else?
And not DS please

Tires

My dealer told me it's Metz only for the rear on my 05 standard (same as Roadster I believe) or darkside if you were so inclined. Avon may make one for the front but I'm not sure.
I'm sure you will get more detailed replies. Cheers!

There is a front Avon avaliable. I had one on the last R3, had about 19,000km on it when I sold the bike and still quite a bit of meat on it. I think there is only 3 choices for the rear, Avon , Bridgestone and Metz

Going round Oz next year and going DARKSIDE, decided it was going to save me the hassle of finding tyres. If I leave here with one on and get to Adelaide and decide bugger this, I can fit an Avon and that will get me right round. If all is good I will just keep on keeping on !

Avon Cobra, front and rear, is what i run and I'm very happy.
Hanso has a car tyre on the back but is very happy with his Shinko on the front.
Bridgstone do a 240-55 x 16, which is a bit taller that the 240-50 and is what's fitted to a C109. I'm tempted to give one a try next but not sure...

The Cobra on the rear seems to sit a little flatter (and wider) than the Metz, has excellent grip and is wearing very well. Only downside seems to be traction in the wet - very easy to spin on take off - but probably no worse than the Metz or any other bike tyre would be on a bike of this power and weight. Darkside has the jump there but isn't for me (at this stage anyway).

Front Cobra is brilliant.

The nice man at the dealership said that the Avon Cobras are a good option as they are stickier but a bit more $$$ and they would not last as long. We went back with another set of Metz.' They work fine for us. We trudge on.

On my first R III (05 Standard 60,000 + miles) I went through several sets of Metzlers before Avon came out with the Cobra.

The Cobras were better handling and more "cushy" of a ride.

People complained about wet handling...but I never noticed that problem.

When I traded in that bike the cobras had more miles on them than I'd ever gotten out of a metz and they still had plenty of tread left.

I still have the original metzlers on my roadster but I have 2 friends that have gone to bridgestone.

I will likely be putting these on next.

Bridgestone Exedra Max 240/55R16 Rear Tire | ZZ28131 | J&P Cycles

Bridgestone Exedra G701 150/80R17 Front Tire | ZZ21816 | J&P Cycles

Or an Excedra Max on the front as well if they start making that size.

The slightly different size height on the rear...55 vs. 50 makes the Roadster speedometer read right on...according to my friends GPS (it reads slightly low with the stock Metz).

Back