Horn/brake light/turn indicators not working all the time

seems to be a wire in the ignition switch is lose :( no idea yet how to get that ignition switch out and repair it

seems to be a wire in the ignition switch is lose :( no idea yet how to get that ignition switch out and repair it
Does this one looks correct?

1625240104479.png

yes, that seems to be the one (Euro 199,-! ), however those f...ing shear bolts are impossible to remove 😰, got one, working for two hours already on getting the second one lose. When that one is also lose it seems that simply re-solder the wire is enough. Looking at the origin of the problem my guess is that the strain relief inside the ignition switch was insufficient. Only a tie-wrap was used :eek:

will post some images when those bolts are removed.

I'm currently having the same problem.- thank you for posting this. Most of the time everything works well, but sometimes I'll put on the turn signal and get nothing. The brake lights aren't working either and if I try the horn I'll get nothing. When it happens I pull over, turn off the bike, restart and everything's back up. I'm not sure if it happens during the ride, or when I first start up the bike- I now try to remember to check blinkers first before heading out.

My guess was a loose wire at the fuse box, since I'm pretty sure they're all on the same circuit. The manual doesn't show the fuse for the horn on the Roadster, but lists it with the indicators and brake lights on the Touring model. Easy to check, I'll look later.

Anyway, let us know if the ignition switch solves your problem. Looks like it needed attention either way.

Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.50.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-03 at 7.51.52 AM.png

(re)solder done, iginition switch build back into the bike and all works as expected even on a small test trip 🥳
Sounds like you got it! My bike had a lot of modifications to the rear brake light (flasher) and turn signal controls (running lights) done before I bought it. I found that the rear tire had come in contact with that rats nest of wiring and modules and that seems to have been my problem. It was pretty easy to rewire the entire rear end and I was able to keep the flashing unit, while tucking it all away more neatly than the stealership did for the previous owner years ago. So far, I haven't had any more issues. Glad to not have to dig into the ignition switch like you did, but now that it's done, you're all set.

(re)solder done, iginition switch build back into the bike and all works as expected even on a small test trip 🥳

Mine did it again yesterday. This time, blinker on no result, I wiggled the key in the ignition while still running and the blinker started functioning. It sounds like, as usual, I have multiple things going on. Now that I've fixed the bad wiring in the back it looks like I need to attend to the ignition. I appreciate the photos you posted- any further advice before I tear into this project, starting with the shear bolts?

find the cable to the ignition and wiggle it, if it is the wires in the ignition then the problem should appear/disappear. Other then that the shear bolts were a b..ch to get lose. used a dremel tool to make a incision so that a screwdriver could be used. Worked well on the left but the right was way harder. Finally decided to dremel the top of the bolt and forced the ignition key holder off. That allowed for a bit more room in getting to the remaining parts of the bolt.

Back