New Rocket Owner... What the hell?? Now I have to tame the beast...

Hi Everyone,
So I have been riding for 5 years and my latest ride is a 2004 Harley Davidson VRod - beautiful bike, loud and scary fast. I realized quickly I am a cruiser having never been over 5,000 rpm on a bike that red-lines at 9,000... lol. (Still not interested in knowing how fast she'll go.) Still have it and still enjoy the ride.
Enter the female companion who wants to ride with me. The VRod is not a double ride (and has a short range) so I go on-line looking for a nice double ride and alas, the 2009 Rocket III Touring shows up on my radar. Beautiful bike, love at first sight, fully loaded for passenger and all. Read the reviews and thought, yes, this is it.
Drove 5 hours to see the bike (with trailer since I wasn't leaving without it). Sat on it a couple of times and loaded her up and got her home. I unloaded it and parked it in her garage (as was the plan) since I didn't have room. I spent some time with it, checking everything over and thought it was "a little big"...
I get back to my place and look at the Harley and thought... WTF! The Harley SHRUNK! Next to this beast it now looked like a little 250! After riding the Triumph 30 minutes to my mechanic for the safety and full service, the Harley felt like a moped...
She asked me how it felt to ride? I told her "it rides as good as it looks". I also mentioned to her that it is the largest production bike every built and that she will never have anything this big between her legs... She gave me that smile and shook her head...
Intimidated?? **** right! But very proud to be an owner. We are both looking forward to cruising together.
Welcome from Alabama! I also have a touring model that is unrestricted and modded. Picked it up from
Hi Everyone,
So I have been riding for 5 years and my latest ride is a 2004 Harley Davidson VRod - beautiful bike, loud and scary fast. I realized quickly I am a cruiser having never been over 5,000 rpm on a bike that red-lines at 9,000... lol. (Still not interested in knowing how fast she'll go.) Still have it and still enjoy the ride.
Enter the female companion who wants to ride with me. The VRod is not a double ride (and has a short range) so I go on-line looking for a nice double ride and alas, the 2009 Rocket III Touring shows up on my radar. Beautiful bike, love at first sight, fully loaded for passenger and all. Read the reviews and thought, yes, this is it.
Drove 5 hours to see the bike (with trailer since I wasn't leaving without it). Sat on it a couple of times and loaded her up and got her home. I unloaded it and parked it in her garage (as was the plan) since I didn't have room. I spent some time with it, checking everything over and thought it was "a little big"...
I get back to my place and look at the Harley and thought... WTF! The Harley SHRUNK! Next to this beast it now looked like a little 250! After riding the Triumph 30 minutes to my mechanic for the safety and full service, the Harley felt like a moped...
She asked me how it felt to ride? I told her "it rides as good as it looks". I also mentioned to her that it is the largest production bike every built and that she will never have anything this big between her legs... She gave me that smile and shook her head...
Intimidated?? **** right! But very proud to be an owner. We are both looking forward to cruising together.
Welcome from Alabama! I also have a R3T that is unrestricted and modded. Picked it up from BillB here on the forum last month and have really enjoyed being back on a R3. BillB basically had it farkled like I would have wanted and all I need is to ride it. I owned a R3 Classic until about 2 years ago and thought it was too heavy after having some major spine surgery. Purchased a Yamaha FJR1300ES and enjoyed it okay but wasn't putting a smile on my face like the R3. I then purchased a 2014 Triumph Trophy SE and put about 500 miles on it. While riding with my wife on Memorial Day we discussed how much we enjoyed the R3 and the missed it. Well the hunt began and I decided I would get back on a Rocket. The R3T is wonderful. I still have to be aware of the weight issues but I am stronger in my core now. There is no substitute for the Rocket. Mainly you need to be aware of slow turns and inclines when riding 2 up. That is where you are gonna feel the weight. Parking on uneven surfaces needs to be planned as you need a good exit strategy before you commit to a space and whether to back in or pull in straight away. Hope you have fun making it your own! 😁

Welcome from Utah!! Get some pictures up here when you get a chance.
I have a 2010 Touring - for about 4 years now, put about $2000 of chrome, TORS and stuff on it after I got it. I also have remapped the ECU (about a year after I got it) it to get the full engine power it was made for. I just about sold it last year to go lighter, glad I held on to it! And especially after reading what you has to say! :thumbsup:

Back