New owner of an 05 roadster w/ turbo

Quick update on my gremlins I've been working through since everybody's been helpful here, and I'm sure there's plenty more knowledge I can soak up since some of you may have experienced the same things.

I bought this turbo rocket used in CA from somewhere around sea level. I live up in the high desert around 4,500ft. elevation. First I'm hearing that turbos (on high performance engines at least) need to be tuned for the elevation (Same as carbs I guess, but maybe with worse consequences on the turbos). So I've got an appointment at a local tuning shop with a dyno and they sound like they've got lots of experience with turbos on bikes.

My issues that I didn't exactly understand are the following;
1) CEL is on (figured this wasn't a big deal when I bought it, but I'm guessing the bike is trying to tell me something)
2) My fuel gauge and low fuel sensor don't work. (Maybe this is unrelated, but I read on hear that a bad ECU program can wipe this out).
3) My bike has shut itself off and won't start two times now. This has only happened in hot temps during the afternoon after riding to work with no issues in the morning, so maybe it's cooling system related, but I'm guessing it has to do with the tune.

My next step is to take it into a shop, and probably get a new power commander unit (The shop says if I've got an old unit, the programs probably won't be updated and they might not be bale to work with it.) And then let the tuning wizard do their thing and get it on a dyno. Hopefully this clears it all up and I can ride my new bike again.

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes,

a test for bad/shorted clutch switch
in neutral try to start without pulling in clutch

i have found out that a shorted clutch switch can cause the fuel gauge not to work
i don't think the ecu will set a code ?
the ecu does register neutral air/fuel mixtures instead of 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th so it will run bad.

i have found out that a shorted clutch switch can cause the fuel gauge not to work
i don't think the ecu will set a code ?
the ecu does register neutral air/fuel mixtures instead of 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th so it will run bad.
That's a big help. I'll try a start in neutral with the clutch out and maybe that can help me drop off one issue. Thanks again!

Back