My turn to beat the (long) dead horse...

Sooo... I'm actually going to try the SIDE.... yup, darkside.
pQu8fHdQrJs8O_g34sXjziqII9ko-27pe0sX6FGsnoo.jpg

Sooo... I'm actually going to try the SIDE.... yup, darkside.

But before you start on that I'll say this: I've already read everyone's opinion, as they are all well documented on this site, so there is no need to repeat what you've already posted every time darkside gets mentioned. I've read all the opinions and taken them into consideration. I have decided, that at the end of the day, it's my bike, my money, my tire and my ass. Thank you for your time and experience.

Now you can go back to your assumptions and ill opinions with even greater vigor.
So you asked everyone's opinion in post 2, now you're not happy with the answers. Sounds like my X. :whitstling:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Scott, I don’t think he’s unhappy with the answers for the most part. Just the ones that all but called him an idiot.
I don’t blame him......

You’re right. No one should have “all but called him an idiot”...... - although he seems to think we’re stupid enough to believe that his tyre went from safe to atrocious on his trip home from work. Give us a break.

We’ve all had the last of our tyres give out quickly but being blissfully unaware or using the excuse of being on a trip doesn’t cut it. The OP and his apologists should man up and not get upset because it’s been called for what it is.

So now he’s going to put a car tyre on a motorcycle. Genius! o_O

So you asked everyone's opinion in post 2, now you're not happy with the answers. Sounds like my X. :whitstling:

I did ask for everyone's opinion in post 2 and I am grateful for the opinions given. At this time I've decided to try darkside.

You’re right. No one should have “all but called him an idiot”...... - although he seems to think we’re stupid enough to believe that his tyre went from safe to atrocious on his trip home from work. Give us a break.

We’ve all had the last of our tyres give out quickly but being blissfully unaware or using the excuse of being on a trip doesn’t cut it. The OP and his apologists should man up and not get upset because it’s been called for what it is.

So now he’s going to put a car tyre on a motorcycle. Genius! o_O

Never did I imply you were stupid but I'm leaning that way now.

I didn't attempt to hide or mask the state of the tire. In fact I stated that I was already aware of the tires lack of thread when checking it 100 miles ago.

Your assumptions make it clear that you feel belittled and personally hurt when you think someone is trying to "outsmart you". To help you with that I will say this, I don't give a **** about what you think or how that makes you feel. Please step down from your ridiculous soap box, and allow this site to continue actually helping people who are looking for answers and not making everything about you.

Thank you,

I did ask for everyone's opinion in post 2 and I am grateful for the opinions given. At this time I've decided to try darkside.

Never did I imply you were stupid but I'm leaning that way now.

I didn't attempt to hide or mask the state of the tire. In fact I stated that I was already aware of the tires lack of thread when checking it 100 miles ago.

Your assumptions make it clear that you feel belittled and personally hurt when you think someone is trying to "outsmart you". To help you with that I will say this, I don't give a **** about what you think or how that makes you feel. Please step down from your ridiculous soap box, and allow this site to continue actually helping people who are looking for answers and not making everything about you.

Thank you,

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset you.
You should do whatever you want.

Richard @CanberraR3
I was with ya on this because his tire was so darn bald all across its face.
Then I remembered my own incident about 5 years ago and went rummaging through photos to find my worn rear tire.

I was out in the middle of nowhere, riding home on I-90 from Arkansas. It was a Saturday evening, I was in Sturgis, SD and itching to get home.
I checked my tires and the rear looked in need of replacement, but I still had tread even though some wear bars were flush. No shops anywhere were open for the next two days. Being out in the middle of nowhere on the I-90 freeway with only 1,000 miles to home and no more country roads & twisties remaining, I chose to go for it . . . . . easy like.

Well I made just 600 miles to Missoula, MT where my tire had progressed to scary bad, similar to the OP's. I found a Triumph dealership there and had to get a hotel room for Saturday, Sunday & Monday nights. Tuesday morning, I opened up Maverick Motorsports who naturally had no rear tire for my R3R in stock.
They did rush ordered me up an Exedra Max. So Tuesday & Wednesday, my 4th & 5th nights were spent in the hotel.

The good news was that the owners of Maverick Motorsports treated me like family! They gave me an 800 Tiger to ride & also took me to a couple BBQ gatherings with their buddies. I had a blast, which offset the extra expense of being stuck 5 nights in a motel room. I got out of there at 2 pm on Thursday and rode the 500 miles home.

A lesson learned regarding how fast the last rubber of a tire actually wears!
Moral of my story is . . . we all screw up, even an old longtime rider that should know better!!!
Bad Tire 1.jpg

that his tyre went from safe to atrocious on his trip home from work.
I'm not saying it did nor that it did not. That would supposition on my part.

But the one and only Metzler I have had fitted for riding - Lost over 1mm (close to 1.5) of tread in one 90mile ride. I had boiled the oil out of it - it went blue and the rubber turned to dust. Was it's last run - except going to the tyre place. But surprised the heck out of me. I have a spare set of wheels with ME880'S just for passing the MoT. But will not return to them for daily work.

This was one run home from a meet up with another R3 owner up towards Burgos. Fine before heading out and was OK when I got there. But then the ambient airtemp (shade) returning was above 40°C. So tarmac temp -"bloody hot". Filled up and checked the tyres before leaving - and when I got home found it coloured blue, rubber peeling off in little balls.

Almost nonstop 80-90mph - motorway with fast curves and lots of hills. Aggressive tarmac as it snows there in winter. Metzlers build heat fast but also retain it. This is the design. Most road tyres do not like running above 45°C. Race tyres are something else. A lifetime Metzler dealer in Austria told me that the 880 is basically a VERY solid "H" rated tyre - but so much so it passes a "V" rating in tests. So they do a "V" marked version. The R3 in my hands/enviroment really needs a tyre closer to "Z(W)" rated. No tyre dealer I have met thinks an R3 is safe on H rated. Too much torque. Too much stress cranked over at R3 speeds. Proper V - fine - in summer (here) Z better.

ime of Avon Cobra (front only) it wears every bit as fast a an ME880. Oddly asymmetrically - so wont be going there again. I now run a Bridgestone 150/70 Z rated rear tyre fitted in reverse on the front. :eek: - Shock horror. In Europe Metzler do make a "Z" rated front that will fit (140/75-ZR17).

The E-Max is an entirely different beast. New it wears very evenly. As it gets older(used) then it seems to suffer a bit more in the middle on long fast runs. I honestly expected to have to replace it after my UK run in May - still going strong and I am slowly taking the flat spot out. The problem is that, in most of the EU - it is an instant MoT fail.

Back