My turn to beat the (long) dead horse...

Who ever would be riding a bike with a tyre like that should be castrated and then the balls made into ear rings for them to wear. Nothing to do with Triumph but with the serious lack of basic maintenance on the bike:eek: now if the tyres are in that condition I really worry about the rest of the bike.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Eh, you guys are talking like the OP let them get like that deliberately, I doubt that's the case. I went off to the Bennington Bash a few years back with what I thought was enough tire for the trip. It was centered over a weekend, when I saw my tire was going faster than expected, I tried every local dealer to get a new one, including a big BMW dealer nearby. Problem was it was an odd size tire, nobody had one. I made it home looking just like that tire, every time I got 100 miles closer I breathed a little easier, that was my last Metzzler, that's for sure.

Avon’s ( new ), fitted - I have no reference point, as in other mftr for comparison, but they do seem to suit the bike. No wobbles, good turn in, mid and corner exit habits.
Happy. Just need to put some weight on me; now, where did I put those recipes :)?

I had just checked the tires at 5,500 (5,600 now) miles because I knew it was getting close to replacement time. The worn tread that came off the bike actually came off on my ride home yesterday. I am not riding it today, nor will I ride it until I have a new tire on the back. I keep up with the maintenance so...

Let's all take our assumptions and stuff them back up the place the sun doesn't shine, and calm down. Thanks ;)

I had just checked the tires at 5,500 (5,600 now) miles because I knew it was getting close to replacement time. The worn tread that came off the bike actually came off on my ride home yesterday. I am not riding it today, nor will I ride it until I have a new tire on the back. I keep up with the maintenance so...

Let's all take our assumptions and stuff them back up the place the sun doesn't shine, and calm down. Thanks ;)

That's a nicer version of what I would'a said :oops:
Good for ya Andrew :thumbsup:

I had just checked the tires at 5,500 (5,600 now) miles because I knew it was getting close to replacement time. The worn tread that came off the bike actually came off on my ride home yesterday.
To help others know when a tire might be reaching the point where this could happen, what was the tread depth at 5500, either in 32nds or relative to the wear bar? Thanks!

Just so you know you're not the Lone Ranger, brother.

To help others know when a tire might be reaching the point where this could happen, what was the tread depth at 5500, either in 32nds or relative to the wear bar? Thanks!

That's not something that's really answerable with this tire, I don't think, if you'll notice, mine still has complete treads, wear is all in center, I live in the flatlands and have a lot of interstate miles.

IMG_1397b.jpg

Same thing happened to me on one of my Harleys. All of a sudden the tread was just GONE.

I just installed an Avon on the front of my Touring and like it very much. I put an EMax on the rear of my Classic years ago and preferred it to the Metz, a tire that I'll never use again. I have EMaxs on my Nomad and like the feel but am a bit concerned at the wear rate. Some of the guys on on of the Vulcan sites report getting very limited mileage on them. Go figure

Just so you know you're not the Lone Ranger, brother.

That's not something that's really answerable with this tire, I don't think, if you'll notice, mine still has complete treads, wear is all in center, I live in the flatlands and have a lot of interstate miles.

IMG_1397b.jpg
FWIW Metzeler says replace when any portion of the tread is less than 2mm.

Back