My turn to beat the (long) dead horse...

@1olbull Steve, of course that sort of thing happens, but you didn’t blame Triumph or the brand of tyre. In fact, if I recall correctly, you weren’t real happy with yourself at the time.

@1olbull Steve, of course that sort of thing happens, but you didn’t blame Triumph or the brand of tyre. In fact, if I recall correctly, you weren’t real happy with yourself at the time.

Tis correct. I should have thought ahead like 5 days before Sturgis, while on that trip.
Point was we all screw up once in awhile. I'll not forget and do that again. When I see wear bars near flush, I order a tire, just like I did today for my front.

You’re right. No one should have “all but called him an idiot”...... - although he seems to think we’re stupid enough to believe that his tyre went from safe to atrocious on his trip home from work. Give us a break.

We’ve all had the last of our tyres give out quickly but being blissfully unaware or using the excuse of being on a trip doesn’t cut it. The OP and his apologists should man up and not get upset because it’s been called for what it is.

So now he’s going to put a car tyre on a motorcycle. Genius! o_O

I can’t disagree with you on the car tire.
Just thought you were a little harsh on him regarding the tire wear........

Richard @CanberraR3
I was with ya on this because his tire was so darn bald all across its face.
Then I remembered my own incident about 5 years ago and went rummaging through photos to find my worn rear tire.

I was out in the middle of nowhere, riding home on I-90 from Arkansas. It was a Saturday evening, I was in Sturgis, SD and itching to get home.
I checked my tires and the rear looked in need of replacement, but I still had tread even though some wear bars were flush. No shops anywhere were open for the next two days. Being out in the middle of nowhere on the I-90 freeway with only 1,000 miles to home and no more country roads & twisties remaining, I chose to go for it . . . . . easy like.

Well I made just 600 miles to Missoula, MT where my tire had progressed to scary bad, similar to the OP's. I found a Triumph dealership there and had to get a hotel room for Saturday, Sunday & Monday nights. Tuesday morning, I opened up Maverick Motorsports who naturally had no rear tire for my R3R in stock.
They did rush ordered me up an Exedra Max. So Tuesday & Wednesday, my 4th & 5th nights were spent in the hotel.

The good news was that the owners of Maverick Motorsports treated me like family! They gave me an 800 Tiger to ride & also took me to a couple BBQ gatherings with their buddies. I had a blast, which offset the extra expense of being stuck 5 nights in a motel room. I got out of there at 2 pm on Thursday and rode the 500 miles home.

A lesson learned regarding how fast the last rubber of a tire actually wears!
Moral of my story is . . . we all screw up, even an old longtime rider that should know better!!!
Bad Tire 1.jpg

You were pushing the envelope a little in Leakey last November ;)

I have blamed Triumph, as have many other Rocket riders, for selecting Metzler for it's stock tire when much better options were available, especially for the Touring.

Steve, great story. I'll have to drop by that shop in Missoula for a cup of coffee next time I'm out that way. And I dearly hope I'll be doing that.

Recall the Packwood Triumph gathering years ago when you, your brother Dan and I first met? A guy I rode in with who had a Touring (can't recall his name) had something similar happen to him. He lived along SR14 on the Columbia River. He set out on a not too long Washington ride and his rear tire, with only about 9K and looking in decent shape, did the same thing. All of a sudden he had chords showing. With no motorcycle dealership within about 100 miles, he pulled into a tire store and they helped him remove the rear wheel and took him to the Dark Side. He loved it. Thinking about that gathering made me recall another friend who was with me and that you met, John Wilmoth. His screen name was Native One on the other Rocket forum. He was a Cherokee Indian and a great guy who had ridden out from Texas for the Packwood event. John died of lung cancer about 2 years ago, within 6 months of retiring as the head of Probation in San Angelo and six other surrounding judicial districts. What a great guy and a fine friend. But I sometimes wallow in my good memories.

My gripe with the Metz is that it goes from OK to self destruct in very short order whereas a tire like a EMax with the same tread depth might get another 1500 miles. It is one of the reasons why I quit running Metzler Tourances on my BMW GS and will not put them on my BMW R1200C when I wear out the current ones.

Last edited:
Normally it's a trade off between grip and wear, the Metz had good grip, but I didn't find the Avons to be inferior in grip, but 50% more life, at least.

You were pushing the envelope a little in Leakey last November ;)

The rear was near bald, but no chord!
That is why I immediately went San Antonio for a new tire.
I'm here to say that when I hit heavy rain and very wet streets approaching and through the city, it was sphincter pucker careful time!
Nice guys & good service at the Triumph shop there - D' Moto Powersports and FYI - I learned they have a Dyno and tuner who uses Tune ECU!

The rear was near bald, but no chord!
That is why I immediately went San Antonio for a new tire.
I'm here to say that when I hit heavy rain and very wet streets approaching and through the city, it was sphincter pucker careful time!
Nice guys & good service at the Triumph shop there - D' Moto Powersports and FYI - I learned they have a Dyno and tuner who uses Tune ECU!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D Will hafta check that out!!!!

I have blamed Triumph, as have many other Rocket riders, for selecting Metzler for it's stock tire when much better options were available, especially for the Touring.

Steve, great story. I'll have to drop by that shop in Missoula for a cup of coffee next time I'm out that way. And I dearly hope I'll be doing that.

Recall the Packwood Triumph gathering years ago when you, your brother Dan and I first met? A guy I rode in with who had a Touring (can't recall his name) had something similar happen to him. He lived along SR14 on the Columbia River. He set out on a not too long Washington ride and his rear tire, with only about 9K and looking in decent shape, did the same thing. All of a sudden he had chords showing. With no motorcycle dealership within about 100 miles, he pulled into a tire store and they helped him remove the rear wheel and took him to the Dark Side. He loved it. Thinking about that gathering made me recall another friend who was with me and that you met, John Wilmoth. His screen name was Native One on the other Rocket forum. He was a Cherokee Indian and a great guy who had ridden out from Texas for the Packwood event. John died of lung cancer about 2 years ago, within 6 months of retiring as the head of Probation in San Angelo and six other surrounding judicial districts. What a great guy and a fine friend. But I sometimes wallow in my good memories.

My gripe with the Metz is that it goes from OK to self destruct in very short order whereas a tire like a EMax with the same tread depth might get another 1500 miles. It is one of the reasons why I quit running Metzler Tourances on my BMW GS and will not put them on my BMW R1200C when I wear out the current ones.

Great memories, Mike!
A Rocket Salvo happening in my back yard, I just could not miss!
I had just gotten my R3R and was initially (for a short time) a .com member.
So sorry to hear of Native 1. He was a very interesting and kewl guy. I remember he was towing one of those small single track trailer thingys.
Remember the kid, Hegal or something like that. He had done an awesome WW2 aircraft paint job on his Rocket?

MC manufacturers choose their tires for cheapest cost.
I believe their tire liability is then shifted to the tire company, so they don't care.
I have replaced over 30 MC tires of different brands since 2004 and found once at the wear bars, they go darn fast!
Out on the roadways, cruising across our country having fun, I become unaware of the miles I put on in a short time.
One cross country ride of mine was 11,500 miles in 42 days and I started out with brand new tires and had to replace 1 front in Mississippi and 1 rear in Illinois - 4 darn tires!).
Hunting down the right tires for the beast out in the boonies, where I like to ride, is a major PITA, let alone the exorbitant prices!
Tis a cost I'm willing to endure for the twisty wood I receive in return!!!

Back