OK - here's the thing.

Headlights are (in theory) designed to disperse LIGHT emitted from a known point (it's why all H4 bulbs are the same standard dimension) - IF the headlight reflectors/refractors are well designed then the light emitted is directed to where it should be - i.e THE ROAD. Most 7" reflector/refractors assemblies are pretty decent. And the H4 bulb was specc'd to fit 7" units.

- BUT - Now the LED "bulb" - ime they do not have a universal or particularly well defined point of emission. So whilst they may well put out more light - it simply is not focused correctly. This means they look really good in the car park next to your mate's bike but at night well maybe less so. If the aim of the headlight is to let others see you more obviously - then this is an ideal solution. But if you intend to ride at night on unlit roads - simply a waste of time and effort. You can be lucky though ime - most are crap.

The remote box is the LED driver. It is an electronic controller designed to make sure the LEDS receive a constant voltage and amperage. It is a GOOD SIGN. A LED "bulb" without this is almost certainly going to overheat and gate down the light output.

The Truck-Lite Phase7 7" is a decent bespoke LED headlight unit at a decent price. It has a very well defined beam for night work. But there are many.

I won't get into Triumph 5&3/4" units here - They are simply CRAP anyway.

I appreciate your input. I mainly want to be seen on the road, day or night, by other vehicles without spending a lot of money. I don't do a lot of night riding, but maybe when I retire :) I'm leaning towards complete headlight replacement instead of bulbs. There's not a lot of room in the factory light cans to squeeze all that stuff in anyways. I'll hold on to the originals as well in case it doesn't work out long term.

Given that I am 'stuck' with the 5 3/4 headlights, are fog lights a better solution for night riding?

I appreciate your input. I mainly want to be seen on the road, day or night, by other vehicles without spending a lot of money.

They never see motorcycles.

All the fluro, lights, loud pipes and horns in the world will never make them see us.

Why? Because there is no cure for stupid.

Even if you get lucky and they do occasionally see you, you should ride like they will never see you.

Exhibit A:

They never see motorcycles.

All the fluro, lights, loud pipes and horns in the world will never make them see us.

Why? Because there is no cure for stupid.

Even if you get lucky and they do occasionally see you, you should ride like they will never see you.

That's how I ride because Exhibit A says it all! But I know for certain bright lights get attention (assuming some drivers are paying attention to their driving). I will take every advantage I can get, with the understanding of Exhibit A being foremost consideration though. Plus the coolness factor. I had loud pipes on my previous bike, but they annoyed me more than anyone else on the road, plus most of the sound not going ahead of me but behind me. Cool but annoying experiment. We'll see how the lights work out.

Given that I am 'stuck' with the 5 3/4 headlights, are fog lights a better solution for night riding?
No, not really - Fog lights are designed to illuminate close to the vehicle and also NOT to scatter upwards. If you ride in well lit areas - they will be of little real use.

They are of course very useful if you have to ride in fog, river/sea mist, low cloud etc. Where I live can be affected by all 3. Esp this time of the year.

If you can ride on Main beam at night - get some lights with a driving light beam. 25°-30° spread. (On e-Bay these tend to be listed as SPOT beams)
Worklights have a 60° usually and are (ime) no use at speed.
You can also find 8° pencil beams - these are OK if you ride on dead straight roads - but for me a total waste of time.

If you generally have to ride on dipped beam (traffic) on unlit roads - Then really you need GOOD lights. This is about 90% of my night riding.

In 5&3/4" there are loads of Chinese clones which seem to provide a decent beam.
Nothing will compare with the Adaptives at night - but they are, I admit, a wee bit on the expensive side.

@barbagris Chris,
I agree with you!
To me GOOD headlights are kinda like GOOD helmets . . . What is your safety worth???
I try not to ride at night, but invariably get caught doing it once or twice each trip I take.
When riding is about seeing and NOT only being seen, I want the best down range light I can get.
Most riders frequently out-ride their headlights because they do not understand the effects of perception response and braking distance.
If you are traveling more than 50 on a dark highway, you are most likely placing yourself in danger.

@barbagris Chris,
I agree with you!
To me GOOD headlights are kinda like GOOD helmets . . . What is your safety worth???
I try not to ride at night, but invariably get caught doing it once or twice each trip I take.
When riding is about seeing and NOT only being seen, I want the best down range light I can get.
Most riders frequently out-ride their headlights because they do not understand the effects of perception response and braking distance.
If you are traveling more than 50 on a dark highway, you are most likely placing yourself in danger.

Thank you I appreciate your advice.

My daily commute is 15 to 20 miles each way on a lit highway and I make it a point to leave work with enough time to get home before dark. I don't like riding in the dark because even with my contact lenses on and without my eyes being tired from staring at the computer all day, you just can't see as well (especially depth perception) as you can during the day, and this applies to the other drivers on the road as well. Plus who needs to be working that late anyways. Occasionally I don't have a choice, but I really try to avoid it. I haven't planned a pleasure ride that requires night time driving for the same reason. There are plenty of hours in the day to ride, I don't need to be adding to my risk by riding tired and in the dark.

I will definitely remember your words if I find myself in a situation where I want to or need to ride at night on a dark highway. You're right, it's a small price to pay to give yourself the best possible view of the road ahead.

MPH obviously. Downrange is a bit moot in bendy roads. It's why (imo) the adaptive make such a difference. And ime when you can use the extra "range" the Adaptives on Main are really stunning too.

They offer (for me) one particularly important advantage - they are designed for both left and right hand traffic use without discrimination. This matters when I travel to the UK. Only folk who have had to drive on the Right with Left handed dips (or visa versa) will understand this.

With non adaptive lights you (as you know) actually see less in corners than a car driver does. Adaptive redress this balance and then adds some.

They have one HUGE disadvantage (to your bank balance) - once you have ridden with them you will want adaptive lights in every other vehicle you have - even a beaten up 24 year old Landrover Discovery that is happiest at 50-55mph.

I'll admit I would like to adds some longer range lights for trips across unlit open areas like the new Forest in the UK - but I have run out of space to mount stuff. You know I am not going to fit something teensy wheensy. But then I may run out of Alternator amps too.

Back