I'm dreaming of an 8 gallon tank...

aviation1972

aviation1972
Sitting on my R3 Touring, dreaming of an 8 gallon fuel tank. Thinking how great it would be, to have just that little bit of extra range. Nah, I'm not being greedy, ( I tell myself ). I just want another 2 gallons. Wondering how the gas tank's shape would change to hold the extra fuel capacity. Personally, I'd like to keep the gas tank's general, overall shape. It would just have to spread a little wider, and perhaps rise an inch or two higher. A new handlebar may be needed, but the geometry could keep the grips, ( and hence the sitting position ), in the same comfortable place. Wonder if I could find someone so talented? Most guys producing gas tanks are making them small, and sleek for choppers and show bikes. Teardrop shaped, I'm guessing. But I want a big, broad...... tank. Just dreaming. Home, home on the range. Extra range, that is.

Not an impossible task, you only have to add ,267362 cubic Feet capacity to your tank to pick up 2 US gallons capacity, something like adding 4 inches to the height of each side of the tank remembering the tank has a big void in the middle for the frame ect 2 12" x3"' extensions would do it but it would be hard to make it look good I would say it would be better to get a professional fuel tank builder to do a decent job on a new tank

Sitting on my R3 Touring, dreaming of an 8 gallon fuel tank. Thinking how great it would be, to have just that little bit of extra range. Nah, I'm not being greedy, ( I tell myself ). I just want another 2 gallons. Wondering how the gas tank's shape would change to hold the extra fuel capacity. Personally, I'd like to keep the gas tank's general, overall shape. It would just have to spread a little wider, and perhaps rise an inch or two higher. A new handlebar may be needed, but the geometry could keep the grips, ( and hence the sitting position ), in the same comfortable place. Wonder if I could find someone so talented? Most guys producing gas tanks are making them small, and sleek for choppers and show bikes. Teardrop shaped, I'm guessing. But I want a big, broad...... tank. Just dreaming. Home, home on the range. Extra range, that is.
WHY you already have enough gas and you need to get off and stretch your legs anyway

WHY you already have enough gas and you need to get off and stretch your legs anyway

I agree even with our wide open spaces in over 50 years of riding I have only had to carry spare fuel on a few occasions more as a precaution than a necessity ,even crossing the Nullarbor Plain it's now less than 200Ks between fuel stops , I crossed it in 1985 on a brand new Harley Superglide Shovel and carried 2 x 5 litre jerry cans 25 litres all up ,but sitting on 100Kph the Harley averaged 4.4 litres per 100ks over 60miles per Imp gallon
still got the Harley in the shed and will never sell it ,too many good memories:inlove

There are multiple versions of add on furl tanks that can be rigged to fuel in motion. I plan on rigging one on the ultra for the Ironbutt rally next year

I've thought of this before. My thought was if I did away with the stock airbox and went with K&N's there would be more room under the tank. I'm not sure if it is feasible or not. Another option would be a second tank.
turbo_tc88_docsweeney.jpg

Back