A Labor of Love; aka building a Rocket III Speedster

Wouldn't a knock sensor be valuable, or does being NA make it unnecessary?

Wouldn't a knock sensor be valuable, or does being NA make it unnecessary?
Most certainly has value, yes, particularly on high rpm build R3s and forced induction R3s.

Specifically, and I didn't say it, what I had in mind was a sort of "kit" people could order up and load a prebuilt file into the ECU, then let it do it's short term/long term trims and correct fueling and never think about it again, while gaining Cruise/Traction/Launch/Wheelie control.

For those willing to do their own tuning/tweaking, the Race is is a much better product. The reason I say that, is a Sport + external CAN knock controller costs the same as just upgrading to the Race model.

The Hayabusa crowd have a member named boostbysmith that's done exactly that, a plug and play harness to adapt the sport or race into the Hayabusa while maintaining full factory behavior with all the new abilities and increased tuning function. I'm not going to go that far, no interest, but I'll absolutely provide a tune base file, bracket drawings, wiring diagram, and a parts checklist at the end of all this for members who prefer the gen1 but want gen2 electronics abilities.

Actuator hardware arrived today. Quality stuff, especially for the price, bracket should be here early next week for the final assembly / validation of fitment of the eThrottle assembly conversion. Will need two washers per heim and longer screws, but otherwise, it seems like all the right stuff.

20231003_155013.jpg
20231003_155023.jpg
All in all, I think this will work out really well.

For final positioning, I'll have to wait until it's on an engine and in a frame to see if I can move the arms inboard after shortening them, so they are more protected.

Speaking of frames...waiting...waiting...

Things have arrived, early even.

Send cut send is absolutely over the top on professionalism. Not a hobbiest feel at all, straight big business feel, very impressed (plus sour patch kids packet in the box, a sure way to win me over).

Tolerances were phenomenal, deburring was great, not a scratch/mark on the aluminum anywhere.
20231007_101113.jpg

So, this is why we prototype before installing...

Will I run it like this, yes, will I order a revised bracket design to make sure it fits perfectly before posting publicly, also yes.

There turns out to be a significant disagreement on what takes space between the oil tank and the actuator with this configuration.

There are many ways to settle the dispute, I've been mulling over which solutio to use and I think I've decided to flip the actuator so it sits ahead of the TB assembly and use two gears to invert the motion direction. Still need to devise a bracket, this will be more involved than the last bracket.

School has ramped up and my time is almost wholly consumed at this point, so progress will happen when I have time.

Back