A Labor of Love; aka building a Rocket III Speedster

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
This will be my build thread for the new bike.

Current Plans:
- Unload and teardown Mufasa's engine for viability check
- Check all other possible viable parts

Pending engine viability:
- Buy donor bike from forum member (sourced)
- Finish stripping donor frame
- Powdercoat donor frame/swinger
- Powdercoat Tank w/airbrushing
- Powdercoat Oil Tank
- Custom oil tank embelisher
- Painted front/rear fenders/side covers/Fairing
- Repair rear wheel and powdercoat
- Powdercoat front wheel (whichever it is)
- Source 2nd Gen Hayabusa forks/wheel/brakes/axle
- Have custom lower/upper triples machined (whether stock forks or busa, this is being done to make a 120/70R17 + 200/55R17 + 348mm shocks regain trail, targeting 5" of trail)
- Carbon Dry tail again
- Busa Aero front fender
- Have custom steel ABS rings waterjet cut. The idea is to adjust the ratio to bring 200/55R17 and 120/70R17 ABS registration rate within 4% and keep ABS functionality.
- Rework stock undrseat air box location to act as a high flow plenum with a long runner, will assist sub 3000 RPM reversion.
- Chop off rear subframe and weld up a much lighter chromoly substitute to hold the fender.
- TTS center mounted narrow Radiator
- Gauge system will be Motoscope Pro ecosystem with the mo.unit blue to add non wonky keyless ignition via NFC. MPS-B breakout box to add sensor inputs to gauges.
- Build custom wire harness, I'm done with Triumph's insanity of a loom
- Either clipons or Protaper Carbon/Aluminum bar SX Race bend ACF(as on my ZH2, I love it)
- Get Accessory seat recovered and scooped slightly
- Hand controls will be non-standard
- Rearsets, not settled on a solution yet
- Fairing, also not settled, I want a fully faired Rocket 3, this will likely be the hardest and final part
- Hydraulic clutch conversion, I'm over the ridiculous lever weight and Janky adjustment

More as I decide on what I want. I'm building my ideal 2.3liter, long wheelbase, steel frame sportbike this time. It will take longer, but it will be "just right".

Last edited:
Sounds like a nitro bike, start with a made frame, then make the rest, except you will be able to source some which will just speed you along so we i can see the finished product 😬 😂 I understand the journey, doing it, is really the key, the finished product, theyre kinda like, yeah thats it, i hope we break something this weekend cause i really wanna tear into it, better better better. Im probably fixen to copy or atleast steal a whole bunch of your ideas over the next months ill just tell ya upfront 🙏 so grateful you are willing to share your knowledge and a bunch of time. I hope no one messes up this thread 🤪 i love what youre doing,

Gen 2 busa front end found (locally even), complete less wheel, rotors, and throttle tube/housing. Looks brand new,hopefully it doesn't sell in the next couple of days before I can check engine for distortion/warpage.

Screenshot_20230816_205110_Opera.jpg
Screenshot_20230816_205012_Opera.jpg

I may not end up doing the swap, depends on the response I get from the triple tree manufacturer. If I don't, I'll shorten my Wilbers to 13" instead of 13.6" and see if I can get 40mm fork extensions made. This paired with the 120/70 should restore safe geometry to be close to the handling match of using a 240/55 and 140/75, a feeling I very much like.

There's a way to adapt 2nd gen Hayabusa front ends without custom triples, if you stick with a 140/75R17 front tire or taller and don't go too tall with the shocks. It's much cheaper.

The custom triples + Busa parts are intended to allow me to run a 120/70R17 front and maintain reasonable rake, trail, and fall over angle of the tire with a higher performance front and and a lot less weight.

Back