Rocket III Roadster tank swap and other mods

Starfighter

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph Bonneville T120
Hello everyone

So Im joining the Rocket racket soon and will pull the trigger on a Roadster once I find a good deal. As always, I customize my bikes to my own personal liking. Im planning to swap the OEM giant fuel tank to a smaller round fuel tank ala Bonneville and put in a slammer seat. I have the necessary tools and knowhow and sourcing parts is not an issue. However I desire to lessen the learning curve by asking the pros before going head on.

My preliminary research shows that the Bonneville T120 (wc) tank does not fit the Rocket by a long shot as the Rocket has a wide double bar frame. Has anyone got an idea which round fuel tanks fit the Rocket the easiest? Any make or model. Currently Im planning to source a cheap (maybe from a crashed bike) an OEM fuel tank. Also will might source a T120 (or other?) fuel tank. Chop off the bottom the part of the OEM and weld that unto the T120 tanks bottom to ensure a proper fit to the chassis.

Im sure someone has already tried something a like before and Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Ask @canecorso , he had a full custom hand beaten full alloy metal set of tins made with an expanded bigger tank with an extra gallon or so.
1627479648272.png

Pretty sure the stock tank does NOT have a symmetrical fuel distribution and a third of LHS is recessed for the throttle bodies etc.
You would need to get a peanut or similar small tank to fit inside the rails or get a bladder or racing type tank like @cootertwo and cover with a custom fiberglass or cut down tank from another bike.

1627479433987.png

Ask @canecorso , he had a full custom hand beaten full alloy metal set of tins made with an expanded bigger tank with an extra gallon or so.
1627479648272.png

Pretty sure the stock tank does NOT have a symmetrical fuel distribution and a third of LHS is recessed for the throttle bodies etc.
You would need to get a peanut or similar small tank to fit inside the rails or get a bladder or racing type tank like @cootertwo and cover with a custom fiberglass or cut down tank from another bike.

1627479433987.png
I would never have thought of a bladder or a hidden tank. That would save me a lot of trouble on welding and hammering.

41896281-76D3-452D-A2E9-55B64D37BB93.jpeg

I do not know whose bike this is, but the fuel tank here is the way I will be heading.

Wow, that is a different take, even with the forward swept headers. I'm betting they took a stock bonnie tank and split it down the middle and widened it. If you're good at metal work or if $$$ is no option, anything can be done.

Getting rid of the stock air box and asociate bits Wil make it easier. The throttle body mounted filter(s) also give you more customizing options.
Ive not seen yet how it is built, but Im planning on installing the RamAir.
Wow, that is a different take, even with the forward swept headers. I'm betting they took a stock bonnie tank and split it down the middle and widened it. If you're good at metal work or if $$$ is no option, anything can be done.
My original plan was to hack off the bottom from a Rocket fuel tank, the same to a Bonneville tank. Then weld up the Rocket tank bottom to the Bonnie tank, make it tight and clean and spray color on. Also want the 4 bar badges. Ive not yet compared a Bonnies tank against the Rockets chassis, but it is observable the Rocket tanks middle shaft is a hell of a lot more wider compared to the narrow shaft in the Bonnies. Its gonna be a long and hard day doing this job and Im trying to research if theres any way easier.

Maybe Ill have to do just that, split it up and make it wider… Im now researching the bladder option also, that might make everything easier but finding the right one seems to be tricky, also it seems it will lose out on fuel capacity…

These parts are not that expensive to get on ebay honestly. I was hoping someone knows what kind of tank would fit the Rocket with the least amount of work. As there might be tanks that are similar in looks to the Bonnies tank but maybe bigger. The Bonnie tank might lose some of its capacity after welded up with a Rocket tanks bottom, but that is to be expected…

Back