Replacing coolant tank with liquor bottle

Dale914

.020 Over
Ride
05 Red Rocket
A while back I saw a chopper with a Jack Daniels bottle as the overflow tank and decided that I need to do that with the rocket as I’m running with 3 K&Ns and no bearclaw and I hate the look of the tank. So I know that a few of you have replaced with aftermarket tanks, and I know that the volume of the factory tank sits at about 1L. I’m thinking that a green bottle of Tanquery gin (or Jäger) is the ticket. Question to everyone who’s replaced the factory tank is this: does it have to remain at 1L or did you/can I go a smaller size? A 200ml bottle fits perfect, but is that far too small? Also, any plumbing gotchas or considerations that I need to make sure to not overlook?
thanks!
oh, and its an 05, and I plan to mount it behind the radiator on the frame, so I’m not too alarmed with glass being fragile, especially if a smaller bottle is permissible.
The plan also is to take the existing hose and reverse it through the cap so it quickly takes the 90 degree turn off the radiator and the hose would go down low in the bottle below the fluid to siphon back up.

Last edited:
Well, I attached it with zip ties, and filed it up. Hopefully this does the trick. I expect it to over flow a few times as it finds it's new high/low settings. Hopefully the 200ml cuts it

Attachments

• 0706222302.jpg
    0706222302.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 0706222256.jpg
    0706222256.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 91
That does look cool although I would be concerned about as you stated, the fragility of the bottle. One pothole away from breakage. It's a great idea and too bad there isn't something in metal or hard plastic. Ever think of a larger metal Flask with Whisky or other markings on it? Good luck.:thumbsup:

there is a plastic bottle of i think old segrams #7 (bbq sause) that looks real enough.

I've see all kinds of liquor bottles and such on rat rods and customs at car shows. Even saw a Barbasol comb cleaning jar! Recently saw a half Keg as a gas tank, not sure how that one passes inspections in some states.

The concerns with plastic bottles is whether or not they can survive the heat of the fluid and not just melt. I did consider a metal Stillhouse can, but it's pretty big and won't let you see the volume. I might carry a spare bottle under the seat filled with water for the first several miles

The concerns with plastic bottles is whether or not they can survive the heat of the fluid and not just melt. I did consider a metal Stillhouse can, but it's pretty big and won't let you see the volume. I might carry a spare bottle under the seat filled with water for the first several miles

if u loose the tank fluid it is not going to be a problem the first time
the problem will be when it cools down it will suck air into the radiator giving less cooling

Back