High Compression Pistons?

Pig9r

Living Legend
Trolling the lastest on Ebay this morning and spotted these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D220057079773%26fvi%3D1&item=220057079773&rd=1

Apparently Wiseco make high compression (11:1) pistons for the Rocket now. I tried finding them on the Wiseco site however couldn't. So maybe they are new? Any engine guys have an idea how much this would increase hp? I would assume that you would need to run a higher octane gas?

Pig9r said:
Trolling the lastest on Ebay this morning and spotted these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26satitle%3D220057079773%26fvi%3D1&item=220057079773&rd=1

Apparently Wiseco make high compression (11:1) pistons for the Rocket now. I tried finding them on the Wiseco site however couldn't. So maybe they are new? Any engine guys have an idea how much this would increase hp? I would assume that you would need to run a higher octane gas?

Isn't this what Nev is doing? Plus porting and polishing the heads, new cams, new valves, new clutch. He's getting more than 170 hp, right?

I just had to call this shop. Spoke with a guy named Nathan who told me that they set up a deal with Wiseco and now have high compression pistons. He also told me that they port and polish and add stronger clutch springs. He said the cost to port and polish as well as add high compression pistons and stronger clutch springs ends up being $3,000.

I asked him if hotter cams were needed, and he said no. Does that sound right to ya all?

It would be interesting to know if you can run pump gas on those pistions without any knock or ping. Being as Rockets are a dual plug engines, those pistons might actually work deciently. Hey Tall, did the guys say anything about liner replacement at the time of install? I'm just wondering if they reused the old cylinder liners or installed fresh ones?
Bigern

Modern combustion chambers do a pretty good job of getting rid of hot spots, and the "squish" areas try to keep detonation under control, but still, 11:1? You may have to tard the timing with Tuneboy and run premium... geeze... I dunno.

$3K sounds about right... you would have to tear the whole bike down to put in the pistons, a lot of labor. I had had to go in there like Bigern did it might be an option, or if I was really bored. Naw... I don't get that bored :D. Give me the supercharger.

I emailed Sharer Cycles about some concerns that I as well as others in this forum have. When I hear something, I will certainly send it your way.

I'm certainly interested in this and will stay on it. I like what Nev has going on as well. A concern is the ignition/timing issues. The Sharer Cycle people tell me that they have their own tuneboy tune, but they didn't mention if they messed with the ignition/timing on that tune. And I don't know if Nev even has a tuneboy tune and if he's got a tune to adjust the ignition/timing issues.

Nev told me that I can run 93 octane on his 10.5:1 pistons. I like the sounds of that. Nev also told me that his 10.5:1s required hotter cams. How can a 10.5:1 require special cams but an 11:1 not? That just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe some of ya all can help me out on that one?

Another problem is that I'm in Texas and this Sharer cycle place is in Wisconsin. That's a long ways from me! I've got a Triumph dealer in the Dallas area that will install Nev's stuff. I've got a Triumph dealer in Waco that will install the Turbo Connections turbo. Don't know if the dealer in the Dallas area will port and polish like Sharer though, and I gotta say that if I'm gonna get high compression pistons, then I'm porting and polishing.

To add to the delimma, I hear Turbo Connections is coming out with a Stage 2 Turbo in the spring. I'm really liking the sounds of that, especially since I've got a dealer an hour away that will install it.

Later ya all,
Tall Tx Guy

talltxguy said:
I emailed Sharer Cycles about some concerns that I as well as others in this forum have. When I hear something, I will certainly send it your way.

I'm certainly interested in this and will stay on it. I like what Nev has going on as well. A concern is the ignition/timing issues. The Sharer Cycle people tell me that they have their own tuneboy tune, but they didn't mention if they messed with the ignition/timing on that tune. And I don't know if Nev even has a tuneboy tune and if he's got a tune to adjust the ignition/timing issues.

Nev told me that I can run 93 octane on his 10.5:1 pistons. I like the sounds of that. Nev also told me that his 10.5:1s required hotter cams. How can a 10.5:1 require special cams but an 11:1 not? That just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe some of ya all can help me out on that one?

Another problem is that I'm in Texas and this Sharer cycle place is in Wisconsin. That's a long ways from me! I've got a Triumph dealer in the Dallas area that will install Nev's stuff. I've got a Triumph dealer in Waco that will install the Turbo Connections turbo. Don't know if the dealer in the Dallas area will port and polish like Sharer though, and I gotta say that if I'm gonna get high compression pistons, then I'm porting and polishing.

To add to the delimma, I hear Turbo Connections is coming out with a Stage 2 Turbo in the spring. I'm really liking the sounds of that, especially since I've got a dealer an hour away that will install it.

Later ya all,
Tall Tx Guy
When I talked to Sharer, they said the head work could be done by a competent mechanic.

Here's a link on head porting. Do it yourself (if you fell like taking the negine apart - yikes!)

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm

Turbo gives lots of hp but aren't you concerned about ruining your bike?

dougl,
What kinds of problems are you talking about when you say "ruining your bike"?

The only thing negative that I've heard about the turbo is that the clutch slips during full throttle roll-ons, but I haven't talked to enough Rocket III turbo owners to verify such a thing. And I don't even know if those problems were with the Turbo Connections turbo or another turbo setup.

Back