How high can you put the rev limit safely on a stock Roadster?

blip

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
So ..... I have always assumed that you can't really push the rev limit very much without compromising the safe operation and longevity of the motorcycle. But then I was on the phone with a reputable tuner (About an unrelated matter) who mentioned that they will often tune stock roadsters up to as much as 9k ..... to repeat, that was stock (in all fairness it could have been a misunderstanding, but I asked twice because I was surprised).

Here is my question to the group ..... on stock bikes, and when I say stock I mean no new heads or cams, exhaust and air intake mods still count for this conversation, how high have you put the rev limiter to?

And the question to the technically brilliant members of this site ...... how high is safe for the motorcycle?

Are they completely stock though or with the shim under bucket & springs conversion?

I sent him my ECU, they flashed it and sent it back. Unless Bob has little elves that snuck over one night and installed them, the motor was stock.

Now if you send it in for one of their packages they upgrade the valves, springs, and keepers.

I sent him my ECU, they flashed it and sent it back. Unless Bob has little elves that snuck over one night and installed them, the motor was stock.

Now if you send it in for one of their packages they upgrade the valves, springs, and keepers.
if you find those little elves send this way

Just got a new baseline done today, power peak was not a spike but a flat area between 5500-6000. Redline set to 7000, made 152whp/154lb-ft in 93f weather at 50% humidity, there is very much a reason to shift after 6000, the new gear lands right below peak power at 5200 is. By shifting at around 6300, it would maintain the motor at its peak pretty effectively.

Last edited:
So ..... I have always assumed that you can't really push the rev limit very much without compromising the safe operation and longevity of the motorcycle. But then I was on the phone with a reputable tuner (About an unrelated matter) who mentioned that they will often tune stock roadsters up to as much as 9k ..... to repeat, that was stock (in all fairness it could have been a misunderstanding, but I asked twice because I was surprised).
Here is my question to the group ..... on stock bikes, and when I say stock I mean no new heads or cams, exhaust and air intake mods still count for this conversation, how high have you put the rev limiter to?

And the question to the technically brilliant members of this site ...... how high is safe for the motorcycle?
You guys got recreational pot up there now:) if so it must be some good chit. Tune boy is the only game in town for high rpm maps which are made for Carpenter racing and i would bet they would and might have for Neville Lush Racing. And lets face it their customer service after the get your money it not what one would exspect to put it nicely.

Now lets look at tune ecu which does not make custom maps it hacks the ecu and copies whats in there. So I would ask them a couple questions before they fog that log.
First is how do you raise a rev limiter that only goes to 7000 rpms up higher. Second would be if you could actually raise the rev limiter to 9000 how do the tune it when the fuel and timing cells plus the trim tables only go to 7000 rpms? Then I would ask them how do they over ride the pulse width ratio on the stock injectors which is set at 80% and can not change that not even with tune boy? The after they take a hit let us know what he says :D

Now if you had the older ecu 04 to 09 non touring and new what to do after you kept clicking on the rev limit raise button and it stopped at 6800 rpms there are a few people out there that might know how to over ride. Say like I can make it 20,000 rpms but still you only have 7000 rpms worth of tuning cells you would be back to the tune ecu equivalent listed above. Ask @Claviger how high his cells go on his new tuneboy advance goes. I believe he sent it to me and well since I have the tune boy advance I still can not open it without his specific software. Tune boy did this so people can not hack andcopy there tunes with a 20 dollar cable and free software like tune ecu.
Ready for a hit yourself :)
Then the guys above are also right about the cams only making so much power, the catastrophic failure that can occur with over the bucket shims and the week valve springs and retainers.

So now we might understand why they charge money for their work and spend their valuable time on bikes tune ecu will not work on. Instead of bikes that their programing can be hacked for free. I often wonder if their customer service is better for customers the can't use free hack ware.

I hope this does not upset you but if I was a betting man I would bet your tuner has a good buzz :D

To dovetail what Warp is saying:

All roadsters with the new Keihin ECU, are limited to 7000, even with Tuneboy, the 9000 RPM code hasn't been released (read: hasn't been started) by Wayne, for whatever reason.

There are only two ways I know of currently to go over 7000 on a 2013.5+ Roadster: Full Standalone swap (microsquirt, motec, etc), OR, talk the Dynojet guys into enabling the "rev extend" feature for you using a PC-V and Ignition module, so at 7000 the PC-V takes over all fueling duties. It does work, and has been done on other models, haven't yet seen it done on an R3 though.

Without disclosing too much... there is a 3rd option in the works, and it involves the stock ECU and any Rev-limit the tuner desires to put in, with the ability to define the fueling map RPM values in the table. So, theoretically speaking, one could de-stroke the motor down to say 61mm and spin it to something like 13,800 with the same mean piston speed as the 2300cc motor at 9000 RPM.

PS: You won't make it to 9000 many times on a stock valve train....

Back