How high can you put the rev limit safely on a stock Roadster?

I sent him my ECU, they flashed it and sent it back. Unless Bob has little elves that snuck over one night and installed them, the motor was stock.
Now if you send it in for one of their packages they upgrade the valves, springs, and keepers.

If I understand correctly that flash would prevent the use of Tune ECU - RIGHT or WRONG?

To dovetail what Warp is saying:

All roadsters with the new Keihin ECU, are limited to 7000, even with Tuneboy, the 9000 RPM code hasn't been released (read: hasn't been started) by Wayne, for whatever reason.

There are only two ways I know of currently to go over 7000 on a 2013.5+ Roadster: Full Standalone swap (microsquirt, motec, etc), OR, talk the Dynojet guys into enabling the "rev extend" feature for you using a PC-V and Ignition module, so at 7000 the PC-V takes over all fueling duties. It does work, and has been done on other models, haven't yet seen it done on an R3 though.
Without disclosing too much... there is a 3rd option in the works, and it involves the stock ECU and any Rev-limit the tuner desires to put in, with the ability to define the fueling map RPM values in the table. So, theoretically speaking, one could de-stroke the motor down to say 61mm and spin it to something like 13,800 with the same mean piston speed as the 2300cc motor at 9000 RPM.

PS: You won't make it to 9000 many times on a stock valve train....

Your right about using tune boy and installing a different rev limit which you can not with tune ecu. Another problem with the free ware is you can only go say to 299 kph on the speed limiter wher I set mine with tune edit/tune boyto 1000 kph I have heard about the rev extend power commander has been playing with but have not seen it on a rocket yet so I cannot speak to it. Although your still back to the speed limiter problem. With the power commander rev extend I wonder if they are playing with or intercepting the rpm signal to the ecu. Which the makes me wonder if the signal is changed what are the affects on the other systems that need a true rpm signal to store in the local comon variables in the ecu program.

One needs to figure out what he wants and needs. As you can make 240 hp at 7000 rpms. If you not drag racing or land speed racing do you need or will you use the extra 2000 rpms. If your not and just putzing around 240 hp at 7k will be fine. Whether you have a supercharger or a NA MOTOR. Even if you going to a dyno shoot well then its max hp whether its at 4000 rpms or 9000 240 hp is 240 hp.

Your right about using tune boy and installing a different rev limit which you can not with tune ecu. Another problem with the free ware is you can only go say to 299 kph on the speed limiter wher I set mine with tune edit/tune boyto 1000 kph I have heard about the rev extend power commander has been playing with but have not seen it on a rocket yet so I cannot speak to it. Although your still back to the speed limiter problem. With the power commander rev extend I wonder if they are playing with or intercepting the rpm signal to the ecu. Which the makes me wonder if the signal is changed what are the affects on the other systems that need a true rpm signal to store in the local comon variables in the ecu program.

One needs to figure out what he wants and needs. As you can make 240 hp at 7000 rpms. If you not drag racing or land speed racing do you need or will you use the extra 2000 rpms. If your not and just putzing around 240 hp at 7k will be fine. Whether you have a supercharger or a NA MOTOR. Even if you going to a dyno shoot well then its max hp whether its at 4000 rpms or 9000 240 hp is 240 hp.
BUT you can run faster and quicker times and speeds with the higher REV limit

BUT you can run faster and quicker times and speeds with the higher REV limit

But the point is this.....given the complexity of raising the rev limit, is it worth the hassle given how the bike is intended to be used?

Sure, I can see an advantage if you primarily care about optimizing your trap times at the local drag strip. But for the vast majority of people who ride on the street the added rev ability, and complexity getting there, won't make much sense.

Furthermore, the engine was never designed/engineered for these excessive rpms. You would need to strengthen the valvetrain and probably balance and blueprint the engine before going to 9000 rpm to be truly effective. Otherwise, you're shortening the engine's lifespan.

Ha 9000 on STOCK gear. For a start there is no power up there on a stock bike. Even with the Carpenter dump pipe for drag racing 9000 is way past the power of the engine. For second the spring seat pressure on a STOCK rocket is only 50 lbs. 7000 for any sustained length of time will cost you in valve life etc. I have not been silly enough to try, but I doubt you would get 10 minutes at 9000.Still I suppose that's 50 odd passes of the 1/4 mile if that's your life and soul. Also the bike can be revved as much as one wants, one way or another. A simple PCV and ign module will get you whatever you wish. As Warp says depending on models, 8500, 9000, whatever you can build the engine for.
You guys got recreational pot up there now:) if so it must be some good chit

Just remember everything you find on the internet is true, I am working on a rocket today. The guy got an internet tune for his bike. from about 5000rpm onwards it was 15.8:1 AF at WOT, but hey," when you remove the secondary plates, it makes no difference to the fuelling of the bike, because the map looks the same", this is what I have seen and heard here plenty.. This is good for me, because it will make my tune/work look better.

Yeah, the Roadsters are very not healthy above 5400 or so with anything resembling the stock tune and secondaries all the way open.

This is exactly why I pulled all the tunes I'd done from public download, once I got a good high RPM 5th gear datalog, because TuneECU requires non linear enrichment up there at high RPM. I consider TuneECU bugged, because of this counter intuitive map scaling, you shouldn't have to go from a value 14000 at 4800 to 17000+ at 5000 to counter Triumphs hidden enleanment over 5000.

I reckon, if the R3 motor wasn't a low comp fast burn design that's not detonation prone there'd be a bunch of bikes with broken ring lands running around :0

On a side note, I don't get how the hell stock injectors make it to 265whp, at 152 I'm getting 78% duty cycle on the 360s...

Your right for 9k but 6k to 7k works great especially with a supercharger. Don't mind Art you'll get used to him :D
JUST giving you the facts and you can choose to do whatever you like with the info the stock Rocket works great the way it it is so you decide what you want to suit your riding style meanwhile WARP is running the 9000 RPM rev limit in his bikes. MY modded 250 HP bike has the 9 K rev limit but I cruise around most of the time at the same rpm as my 09 stock CLASSIC and only use the HIGH revs when I want to kick some SPORTBIKERS AZZ and then the 9K rev limit really impresses the competition

Last edited:
Back