High Compression Pistons?

talltxguy said:
dougl,
What kinds of problems are you talking about when you say "ruining your bike"?

The only thing negative that I've heard about the turbo is that the clutch slips during full throttle roll-ons, but I haven't talked to enough Rocket III turbo owners to verify such a thing. And I don't even know if those problems were with the Turbo Connections turbo or another turbo setup.

I don't know anything specific. Was the bike desgined for 300 hp? I would think that doubling the torque would take its toll. I'd be more concerned about the engine and transmission life than the clutch. I'd like this bike to last more than a couple of years.

dougl,

It is obvious to me that your opinion about leaving the bike be is certainly a more rational opinion than mine. That being said, I will still investigate possibilities, admitting that I am lacking some rationality. LoL

talltxguy said:
dougl,

It is obvious to me that your opinion about leaving the bike be is certainly a more rational opinion than mine. That being said, I will still investigate possibilities, admitting that I am lacking some rationality. LoL

I would like to know all the possibilities too. I bet you could get a significant increase in power just from head work and air intake mods (and a PCIII). I talked to my dealer about Rocket mods. He does these kinds of mods on V-Twins. He talked about heads, pistons, cams, etc. and turbo and also things needed to harden the Rocket to handle the added power. Nothing very specific and no actual hardware or work on Rockets. I bet Nev is a really good source for this kind of info.

Last edited:
Ya know dougl, it's funny you mention Nev. I just received an email from him today. We've been talking about some mods. I'm looking to purchase his mild cams but need just a few more details...
By the way dougl, what kind of air filter system are you running? Do you have a custom mapped PC III? I'm fixin to put the K&N undertank on this weekend and will custom map as soon as I can figure out if I'm gonna purchase these mild cams from Nev.

bigern2300, Sharer emailed me back about the cylinder liners. The customer rep or whoever's been in touch with me didn't know much, so he's forwarding the question to the head mechanic. Will let you know when I hear something.

Tall Tx Guy

Thanks for checking into that Tall. They may just dust 'em with a hone and throw the pistons back in, but who knows!
Engine damage from turbos?, it's quite possible depending on the amount of boost and also that the fuel system is set up for the turbo. Pistons, rods, and bottom end componets must also be strong enough to handle the extra stress. I remember when Ford first came out with the 6.9L diesel engine in the pickups and people were installing Banks turbos on them. The end result alot of the times were scorched pistions, failed wrist pins, and even bearings squished out of the rods at the crank. You put todays Powerstroke diesels componets beside the old 6.9 and 7.3s, and the difference in the mass of the parts is enormous. However, there has also been great leaps in turbo technology such as variable vane. Me myself....i'd rather be blown! :D Bigern

talltxguy said:
Ya know dougl, it's funny you mention Nev. I just received an email from him today. We've been talking about some mods. I'm looking to purchase his mild cams but need just a few more details...
By the way dougl, what kind of air filter system are you running? Do you have a custom mapped PC III? I'm fixin to put the K&N undertank on this weekend and will custom map as soon as I can figure out if I'm gonna purchase these mild cams from Nev.

bigern2300, Sharer emailed me back about the cylinder liners. The customer rep or whoever's been in touch with me didn't know much, so he's forwarding the question to the head mechanic. Will let you know when I hear something.

Tall Tx Guy

I have a K&N under the seat, which is a Corbin so it doesn't have the stock seat manifold. I can't see how shortening the distance by putting the filter unter the tank would make much difference, especially since the under seat filter has more surface area. I have Tuneboy and am using Wayne's tune for TOR's/cat bypass. Didn't Nev say he got 170 hp with the stock air filter? There was a big discussion about air filters some time ago.

I'd like to know what kind of engine work would be needed for an extra 30+ hp/ft lbs. That would no doubt require a PCIII.

dougl, I will let you know what the K&N undertank does on my bike.

I ran the 20050_2 tuneboy with TORs, cat/bypass, and a K&N underseat and got 131 / 141 a few months ago. Assuming Autozone delivers the filter in time, I will have the filter on by Saturday. If my dyno guy is in, then I'll have some numbers to post Saturday evening. According to the weathermen, it's supposed to be a great weekend for riding in central TX.

talltxguy said:
dougl, I will let you know what the K&N undertank does on my bike.

I ran the 20050_2 tuneboy with TORs, cat/bypass, and a K&N underseat and got 131 / 141 a few months ago.

I have the same setup and got ~140/150. I'm sure there's a lot of variability between dyno shops and I don't believe this difference is due to environmental conditions. If it's possible, have the bike re-dynoed with the under-tank filter at the same shop. Better still, have them dyno the bike with the under seat filter, then switch in the under tank filter and have them re-dyno it. If you don't do this sytematically, you'll never be able to isolate the effect of the under tank filter.

Appreciate the advice dougl on the dyno. My 131 / 141 does seem a bit low compared to other setups, but from what everybody has told me, dynos can and will vary.

My dyno guy is out of town this weekend, so I'm gonna have to get it late next week. Oh well, it is high 70s / low 80s, so I think it's riding time...

Back