Help please - motor knocking sound in new-to-me '09 R3T

@Jeremy Do you have a manual ? I thought I saw a way back that you do. You need to read it.

The cam chain tensioner is easily accessed on the right side of the engine.

A manual is a wonderful thing, and with it, this group helps you 'cook with gas'.

@Jeremy Do you have a manual ? I thought I saw a way back that you do. You need to read it.

The cam chain tensioner is easily accessed on the right side of the engine.

A manual is a wonderful thing, and with it, this group helps you 'cook with gas'.
I do have the manual, and that is what makes me nervous is that the cam cover needs to come off it says. Let me look into this and see how comfortable i feel about it.

No bud you just remove the center nut. Like in the pictures above, only those pictures show the tensioner out of the bike because I must have five or so of them and I was too lazy to go out to one of my bikes -which have non-OEM stuff anyway.

With the bike not running, remove the center nut on the auto tensioner. Measure drop; install spacer if needed. Install center nut. Torque. Then ride :) 10 minutes if you have to make the spacer. If you already have the spacer made just under 60 seconds and you're done and riding. Just remember never turn the engine over with the center nut removed!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
No bud you just remove the center nut. Like in the pictures above, only those pictures show the tensioner out of the bike because I must have five or so of them and I was too lazy to go out to one of my bikes -which have non-OEM stuff anyway.

With the bike not running, remove the center nut on the auto tensioner. Measure drop; install spacer if needed. Install center nut. Torque. Then ride :) 10 minutes if you have to make the spacer. If you already have the spacer made just under 60 seconds and you're done and riding. Just remember never turn the engine over with the center nut removed!!!!!!

Ok thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
They also sell replacement springs on eBay. This listing also has the correct unloaded spring length spec.
Cam Chain Tensioner Spring Kit - Triumph Rocket III | eBay
Price: GBP 14.95
Approximately US $20.30

Replacement Cam Chain Tensioner Spring Kit for Triumph Rocket III

(Stock Ref Z585)

Replacement Cam Chain Tensioner Spring complete with copper sealing washer.

It is recommended that the spring is replaced if its length has reduced significantly below 73.7mm. This is a much more cost effective option than replacing the complete tensioner assembly.

Replacement of the spring requires only the 19mm hexagon headed bolt to be removed and the spring can then be replaced. A very simple job.

Fits: 750/900Trident, 750/900/955/1050 Speed Triple, 750/900/1000/1200/955 Daytona, 900/1200 Trophy, 900/955/1050 Tiger, Thunderbird 900, Thunderbird Sport, Legend TT, Adventurer, Rocket III, Rocket III Classic, Rocket III Roadster, Rocket III Touring, Sprint 900, Sprint Sport, Sprint Executive, Sprint ST 955/1050, Sprint RS

There is also the ridiculously expensive
25% off US$67.46 plastic gauge tool T3880068 going discounted on eBay at the moment for the check and add slug to load spring if short.

Remove Centre Nut

Last edited:

Next time your here, we will make a video. Cam tensioner and how to fly a Rocket.

They also sell replacement springs on eBay. This listing also has the correct unloaded spring length spec.
Cam Chain Tensioner Spring Kit - Triumph Rocket III | eBay
Price: GBP 14.95
Approximately US $20.30

Replacement Cam Chain Tensioner Spring Kit for Triumph Rocket III

(Stock Ref Z585)

Replacement Cam Chain Tensioner Spring complete with copper sealing washer.

It is recommended that the spring is replaced if its length has reduced significantly below 73.7mm. This is a much more cost effective option than replacing the complete tensioner assembly.

Replacement of the spring requires only the 19mm hexagon headed bolt to be removed and the spring can then be replaced. A very simple job.

Fits: 750/900Trident, 750/900/955/1050 Speed Triple, 750/900/1000/1200/955 Daytona, 900/1200 Trophy, 900/955/1050 Tiger, Thunderbird 900, Thunderbird Sport, Legend TT, Adventurer, Rocket III, Rocket III Classic, Rocket III Roadster, Rocket III Touring, Sprint 900, Sprint Sport, Sprint Executive, Sprint ST 955/1050, Sprint RS

There is also the ridiculously expensive
25% off US$67.46 plastic gauge tool T3880068 going discounted on eBay at the moment for the check and add slug to load spring if short.

Remove Centre Nut
Perfect, thank you all. If I just go ahead and put in this spring, OR use warp's method will this be ok, or ONLY if it is out of tolerance? I will maybe try to look at it and post pictures with measurments tomorrow night.

Soooo.....
A misadjusted cam chain adjuster gives a "knocking" (OP) sound, not a clackah/tickuh?
Not the standard engine noise spectrum other I.C.E.'s..

The implication is if the spring is less than 73.7mm it will also indicate like the gauge3 that you either need a new spring or use factory gauge or Warp9.9 method to in effect do the same thing. Easy to remove your spring, measure it and then either consider or remove the possibility that is the source of your irritation. It could be a short spring length but not the cause of the noise but you will have at least found something to fix before it becomes a problem. Would surprise though on a youngish bike but springs do 'go off' sometimes.

I've got to go through the parts list of the "upgrade" kit, as I think there is the Triumph tool, and maybe a spacer included.

Back